Using public pages as virtual libraries!

A growing number of libraries use Netvibes public pages as virtual resource centers for their users. From academic literature, news, to documentary resources or podcasts – there’s an abundant of options. To add, Users are not just happy to locate reading suggestions online but the convenience is a huge time saver!

Our list of public libraries include: The Cranbury Public Library (US), Biblioteca de l’Ateneu Barcelonès (Spain) or the the Dublin Public City libraries (Ireland). They’re ideal places to organise events, surveys and online tools & resources.

Other institutions such as schools and universities, use Netvibes public pages as virtual resource centres. Go to King’s School Library (UK) for book suggestions and news to read and The University of Sheffield library‘s public page (UK) for conducting research, organising documents, bookmarks and read online newspapers.

Both Discovery College Library (Hong-Kong) and The United World College of South-East Asia (Singapore) has organised its virtual resource space into various tabs. Namely; Podcasts, Videos, Poetry, Art, web2.0. and many more…

Another interesting use of Netvibes public pages is the The Language Library! Built by the Oxford university’s language library, here you can find content & news in many different languages, just like The Dixie Grammar School (UK).

Let’s not forget the incredible work done by specialized libraries eg, Central Medical Library from The University Medical Center Groningen (Netherlands) or Biblioteca de Farmàcia from The University of Barcelona.

Lastly, if you have built a netvibes public page for your school, feel free to add a comment or post the link on twitter @netvibes.

We love discovering new great pages!

Tags: ,

Share/Save/Bookmark

14 Responses to “Using public pages as virtual libraries!”

1. #1 | Hassan Wilson | June 19th, 2009 at 20:46

I will check our these sites. I am a teacher who has set up a public page for my students to do research. Every other week, a group of students will be in charge of investigating, presenting, blogging and leading a discussion about a new discover in biology. The process starts with netvibes–this is where they will find the discovery in the first place. There are multiple rss readers from news sites, podcasts, and vodcasts. I even embedded our websites in one of the tabs. Thanks for the service. The project will start in the fall–I’m sure it will go well.

2. #2 | Webanalytics | June 20th, 2009 at 12:29

3. #3 | custom software development company | June 20th, 2009 at 13:27

smart idea! I guess there are tons more we can do with netvibes functionality!

4. #4 | jetLag | June 20th, 2009 at 17:32

I love the multiple views within widgets (edit/views) and the multiple layout within tabs (Edit).
    Now I can create as many pages I want, so I have one per author I like.
    Kind of like my own library of Netvibes pages.
    Thanks a gazillion and keep up the great work. We love you!

5. #5 | john | June 21st, 2009 at 12:25

I think Netvibes should be working on improving their speed. It’s pages have been slooooow for months and also this morning I can’t get any netvibes page to open, not even my own. So all this is nice to read about but please Netvibes, listen to your users and improve speed!!

6. #6 | International School Portugal | June 22nd, 2009 at 13:52

I agree with Hassan. This is a great idea for any class room and one that we too will be employing at our school in Algarve. Thank you for the service :)

7. #7 | secret gold guide | June 24th, 2009 at 10:07

Virtual libraries is a great idea from you folks. Thanks.

8. #8 | Suzy | June 24th, 2009 at 20:57

Does the "Language Library" actually translate stories into different languages, or does it just sort and categorize articles by language (already written)?

9. #9 | Jason Curtis | June 25th, 2009 at 09:04

We’re using Netvibes to create a virtual current awareness service for healthcare staff and students who use our library, with a different subject on each tab. This way, we can bring together RSS feeds from a variety of sources that our users may not be aware of, and they can read the latest news and research in one place without having to know how to set up an RSS reader.

I’m helping a number of other healthcare libraries build similar sites, which is made so much easier by being able to export the feeds so easily.

We’ve called our site Team Knowledge Update, and it is at http://www.netvibes.com/sathlibr...

10. #10 | Biblioteca de Farmàcia (Univ. of Barcelona) | June 25th, 2009 at 22:46

And we love discovering netvibes and your kind post here and your tweet! Our work is always in progress. Thank you!

11. #11 | Theor | June 29th, 2009 at 23:47

12. #12 | Teeth Whitening Kits | July 1st, 2009 at 10:51

Smart idea! I guess there are tons more we can do with netvibes functionality! This is a great idea for any class room and one that we too will be employing at our school in Algarve. Thank you for the service All this is nice to read about but please Netvibes, listen to your users and improve speed!!

13. #13 | clubpenguin | July 5th, 2009 at 22:17

Hey everyone! I’m back from New Jersey, and fully got the website up to date, and I even finished screenshotting all the catalogs I still needed to do! So starting tomorrow, I’ll be working on that. I hope to be done with all the catalogs by the end of July, although I have nearly 300 MB of catalog pictures to upload…..

Anyway, we updated a ton of pages. They <a href=cp-memories.piczo.com/&gt… Penguin fansite</a> include the following lists/guides: Club Penguin Event Log, Item List, and the Dance/Wave/Sit List

And the following pages: Servers, Elite Penguin Force, (with a new video) Issue 194, Club Penguin Blog, Desktop Backgrounds, Website Banners, and 101 Days of Fun. Enjoy!

14. #14 | New Proxies | July 11th, 2009 at 21:14

Looks like a great feature. I will try virtual libraries right now.