Back in July, we revealed a few details about our work in progress on a new product and a breakthrough backend for the next Netvibes generation. Our goal was to make feed reading faster and easier.
Since then, not only we’ve been giving final touches to the architecture, but we have also designed a full-fledged feed reader. And today, we are happy to introduce you to our next version: Netvibes Wasabi Edition.
This edition makes Netvibes a truly unique and innovative 2-in-1 product offering both the widget view Netvibes pioneered and a brand new Smart Reader to improve the way your read feeds:
- by streamlining feeds while keeping widgets only one click away
- by offering faster updates
- by showing articles as pictures in a beautiful mosaic view
As mentionned above, this new Netvibes will be powered by new technologies. After comprehensive benchmarks, our technical team decided to step away from RDMS (Relational Database Management Systems) and picked Tokyo Tyrant (along with Tokyo Cabinet) as the main database for the feeds.
We might dive into the details later, but in a nutshell, it allows us to go much faster than traditional databases while using only a fraction of the disk space.
Like with any major release, we’re taking extra caution, hence this βeta period where users will upgrade progressively to Netvibes Wasabi Edition.
Here’s how it’s going to work:
- Sign up now to get your own βeta invitation
- Soon after, we will send out invite codes so you can have access to the new Smart Reader. We will send the codes progressively as we monitor the behavior of the new architecture.
- During the βeta period, we will collect feedbacks and regularly update Netvibes Wasabi Edition.
- When we’ll be satisfied with the new architecture and the Smart Reader, all Netvibes users will automatically be upgraded to Wasabi.
Before you apply for an invitation code, you need to know that once you’re upgraded to Netvibes Wasabi Edition, there’s no way back. Obviously, we are taking extra care of your data, but consider yourself warned.
Ready? Simply head toward http://wasabi.netvibes.com/ and follow the instructions.