New theme and theme API update

For this winter, Netvibes is getting a new default theme. Named Lumi (which means snow in Finnish), this theme shows new widget and tab styles. Both simple and colorful, it will brighten the dark winter days.

To apply this theme, simply go to “Settings” and select “Lumi”.

Lumi theme screenshot

Today, we’re also upgrading the XML theme API. This API allows anyone to create or import a theme. We are fixing a few bugs that were reported in the forum and adding new attributes to the standard API in order to create dark themes. All the details are available in the forum. Also, do not hesitate to post your creations in the comments for everyone to enjoy!

Tell us what you think in the comments. Until next time, all the Netvibes Team wishes you happy holidays!

Tags: ,

58 Responses to “New theme and theme API update”

1. #1 | Tonio | December 18th, 2008 at 5:02 pm

Woah, nicest netvibes theme ever 🙂 🙂

2. #2 | Fiuz.gheda | December 18th, 2008 at 5:21 pm

I use the "winter plain" theme because there’s the smallest widget’s border

3. #3 | Fran | December 18th, 2008 at 5:44 pm

definitely the best Netvibes theme to date! The borders and header of the widget are actually a bit wide, but the effect is nice. Maybe a little bit too much space above and under the widget title is the only annoying detail

4. #4 | Jetlag | December 18th, 2008 at 9:47 pm

love it! thanks and keep up the great work.

5. #5 | sikiş | December 19th, 2008 at 12:40 am

nicest netvibes theme

6. #6 | Notafanboy | December 19th, 2008 at 2:41 pm

Looks a little bit terribly shitty.

7. #7 | aaaa | December 19th, 2008 at 3:13 pm

it is really bad for your eyes…. tooo white~

8. #8 | Khuffie | December 19th, 2008 at 3:35 pm

I love the new theme. I just wish the spacing between columns/widgets, and the spacing within the widgets, could be tightened a little bit. Perhaps we can have a Lumi Small theme for that?

9. #9 | Dr. Neptune | December 19th, 2008 at 4:02 pm

my eyes my eyes!

Exposition Blueberry series should be the default. Need more dark themes besides darkvibes

10. #10 | Marilyn | December 19th, 2008 at 4:13 pm

How do I change back from Lumi to my other themes?

Thanks.

11. #11 | Chris | December 19th, 2008 at 4:18 pm

It is nice but i really dont like the space between the tabs :). Keep up the good work though.

12. #12 | me parto | December 19th, 2008 at 5:02 pm

In Spanish, (well, in spanish streets jargon), "lumi" means prostitute. I’m laughing so much…

Anyway, nice theme. Thanks.

13. #13 | Emre507 | December 19th, 2008 at 5:16 pm

Çok güzel tema. Teşekkürler.

Very nice theme. Thanks.

14. #14 | vibes | December 19th, 2008 at 5:21 pm

More dark themes NOW. These bright themes burn my eyes.

15. #15 | Clay Anderson | December 19th, 2008 at 6:19 pm

Lumi isn’t bad…but it is much too bright. The Exposition themes are still the best Netvibes has to offer. Suggest you consider more along that line: the darker tones make the page easier to look at and easier to scan/read.

16. #16 | kelly | December 19th, 2008 at 6:22 pm

when i go to theme (to change to this cool one) it says undefined..help?

17. #17 | alex_mayorga | December 19th, 2008 at 6:27 pm

Nice new theme. Can I insist on the need for an "undo" button for the theme selection? As it is now if I don’t like the theme I try I have to go hunting for my previous theme among the 20 or so pages (thanks on the variety) of themes.
    Hope I’ve articulated my idea/request properly.

Keep the great work and merry holidays to all the Netvibers out there =)

18. #18 | theadb | December 19th, 2008 at 7:08 pm

after all the crappy roll-outs this saved me from jumping ship (as little as it seems)…

now make an iphone app that kicks every other rss reader’s ass…so i hold my netvibes close and never let it go…so i never think about cheating/leaving it again

19. #19 | Scott | December 19th, 2008 at 7:54 pm

Awww, you Netvibes DOES listen… 🙂

20. #20 | Mohan | December 19th, 2008 at 8:32 pm

Best theme I have seen since the default one, I am using it now!

21. #21 | Lenny | December 19th, 2008 at 8:57 pm

Netvibe’s gettin better and better…. 🙂

merry christmas and a happy new year to all of u…

22. #22 | Mauro | December 19th, 2008 at 9:16 pm

It’s not winter here in the South Hemisphere. Shouldn’t you think globally and provide a summertime theme as well?

23. #23 | Rodney Olsen | December 19th, 2008 at 10:36 pm

Mauro just beat me to it. This is the WORLD WIDE WEB not the NORTHERN HEMISPHERE WEB. It’s not winter everywhere.

24. #24 | considerphi | December 20th, 2008 at 9:18 am

Love the theme but don’t like the color of the window when you open an rss feed… It suddenly turns to a muddy version of the color strip. But otherwise I love it. Can’t wait to figure out if this is something fixable in your theme uploader that you mentioned.

25. #25 | Epigrafes | December 20th, 2008 at 11:57 am

26. #26 | me | December 20th, 2008 at 4:08 pm

Way too bright, otherwise nice.

27. #27 | Scott | December 20th, 2008 at 5:39 pm

Kiitos lumesta!

28. #28 | Epigrafes | December 20th, 2008 at 7:11 pm

29. #29 | Mladen Mihajlovic | December 20th, 2008 at 8:47 pm

I was hoping there would be some new themes as the recent ones (the last 17 pages in the theme tab) all look totally generated from the background pic which I don’t like at all. Also, there is no point in putting just a picture as a theme thumbnail as it shows absolutely nothing about how it actually looks.

30. #30 | icasty | December 21st, 2008 at 2:17 am

Lumi means snow in Estonian too!

31. #31 | Katharismou | December 21st, 2008 at 9:54 am

32. #32 | Gobo | December 21st, 2008 at 1:57 pm

Second on the undo feature or a search on themes. Its frustrating to try out a theme not like it and then go on a wild goose chase to find the one used before.

33. #33 | Marktvergleich | December 21st, 2008 at 5:13 pm

I think it is a typical winter theme!

34. #34 | Ben Tremblay | December 22nd, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Bad enough having the google search form in the /very most important spot on the page/, wasting a full-width inch of screen space, but now I have "New theme: Lumi Learn more" wasting another full-width inch.

Really … screen design 101 … "get rid of both of those" should be an easy and simple option.

35. #35 | Katharismou | December 23rd, 2008 at 9:58 am

36. #36 | eva | December 23rd, 2008 at 1:11 pm

like it this theme

37. #37 | Livret A | December 24th, 2008 at 3:21 pm

Great Theme for tonight!

38. #38 | Private Krankenversicherung | December 26th, 2008 at 4:56 pm

39. #39 | Maca | December 26th, 2008 at 8:22 pm

The right way to get a really nice christmas and holiday

40. #40 | Frank | December 26th, 2008 at 9:53 pm

I am not someone that changes themes often,once I have picked one up I stick with it.

But freedom of choice is great, so thank you!

41. #41 | Epigrafes | December 27th, 2008 at 3:29 pm

42. #42 | Kredit | December 27th, 2008 at 7:50 pm

43. #43 | Istoselidas | December 29th, 2008 at 10:24 am

I use the "winter plain" theme because there’s the smallest widget’s border

44. #44 | Rummy | December 29th, 2008 at 3:36 pm

Simploe yet fairly attractive. Good job 🙂

45. #45 | Radio | December 29th, 2008 at 3:38 pm

46. #46 | jeff | December 29th, 2008 at 6:39 pm

Too white!!! Hurts my eyes. Exposition Blueberry is what I use and should be the default.

47. #47 | Kazino | December 30th, 2008 at 2:12 pm

Hope I’ve articulated my idea/request properly.

Keep the great work and merry holidays to all the Netvibers out there =)

48. #48 | alkaon | December 31st, 2008 at 1:27 am

thanks a lot

49. #49 | Autoversicherung | January 3rd, 2009 at 6:03 pm

it is really bad for your eyes…. tooo white~

50. #50 | Sinergio | January 4th, 2009 at 1:16 pm

51. #51 | onur | January 6th, 2009 at 5:38 pm

great theme and good settlement

52. #52 | Sascha Leib | January 9th, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Very nice theme. I really like it.

Now I wonder: do I also have to switch the interface language to Finnish? 😉

53. #53 | Artikel | January 9th, 2009 at 2:11 pm

54. #54 | Adanalı | January 10th, 2009 at 8:14 am

Hope I’ve articulated my idea/request properly.

55. #55 | Phil | January 10th, 2009 at 11:28 pm

With the negitive comments, I’m glad now I didn’t bother to check it out.
    Even reading this page with black text on pure white is had on the eyes.

56. #56 | Matt | January 14th, 2009 at 6:15 am

I think it is way too bright and now I can’t find the original (default) theme. This really needs an "undo" button…

57. #57 | yeri | January 14th, 2009 at 8:20 am

Thanks nice widgets !

58. #58 | chat | January 15th, 2009 at 3:12 pm

I agree with durerca; the feed navigation would only be useful to me on a few of my feeds, not every one. Please change it to be a configurable on a feed-by-feed basis.