New Tab Navigator – slimmer, smoother, sexier

There are so many wonderful things to track and keep tabs on! Netvibes dashboards are so good at helping you monitor things, that soon you’ll want to add more – more apps, more news, more analytics!

But when you have too many rows of tabs, the widget view on your dashboard can become a bit cluttered and most of all, you’ll lose precious space.

Good news: Our new Tab Navigator is here!

In a nutshell:

Slimmer

Tabs are now displayed in ONE scrollable line to save space.

Smoother

Click on the left or right arrow to scroll one tab at a time. Double-click to scroll faster (or do a long click on your tablet). Or you can even scroll with your mouse wheel!

Dropdown Menu

Click the dropdown menu to reveal a scrollable list of all your tabs – each showing real-time unread counts so you’ll always know when new content appears.

Long Distance Drag & Drop

Click an app, drag it to the Tab Navigator, and hover over the desired tab (either from the dropdown menu or scroll bar). The destination tab will pop up and you can drop the app exactly where you want to. Hint: You can even use Drag-and-Follow to create new Twitter searches on different tabs, organized by topic.

Completely revamped “edit” section

The “edit” section has been redisgned, it’s now clearer & much easier to use.

Advanced tip: for Netvibes Premium users, you can also do Drag-and-Compare analytics across tabs. Just drag the bottom right corner of any analytic app over the Tab Navigator to pick your tab, then drop it on top of any other analytic app to create a new pivot graph.

And of course, this new feature is 100% compatible with touch devices (iPad, tablets) and current themes, as you can see in the examples below.

Questions? Comments? Drop us a line below.

Tags: , , ,

136 Responses to “New Tab Navigator – slimmer, smoother, sexier”

1. #1 | Nico | September 6th, 2012 at 15:49

Thanks for this new feature, the gui of netvibes is awesome, i really love it since the beginning

2. #2 | Ander | September 6th, 2012 at 17:13

Hi!

There is no way to switch to “classic” tab system? :( I prefer two rows than going to the left and to the right several times!

• #3 | BWSF | September 14th, 2012 at 03:09

I prefer Multi row tabs…please give us the option to switch from one to another…this is like firefox without the tab mix plus plugin.

3. #4 | George | September 6th, 2012 at 20:10

Wow – I REALLY dislike this.

Sorry, I know that often times improvements come with a chorus of disapproval from the uneducated luddites who hate change – I hope I’m more enlightened than that.

But I have a lot of tabs. And I like being able to click quickly from one to another. They are grouped, so often I click on a bunch of groups at one end, then a few at the other and then back.

Now I have to scroll or call up the dropdown.

This is a real PITA – please at least have the old look as an option that can be switched on.

I use Netvibes constantly. This has added unnecessary complication, clicks and friction to what was previously a simple process – I”m sure its more elegant from a design perspective, but it is not from a user perspective. Please PLEASE find a way to change it back.

4. #5 | George | September 6th, 2012 at 20:13

ps, my tab list is so long that when I use the dropdown I then have to scroll to get to the end. Yikes! In Pain Long time (since 2002) User….

5. #6 | lz | September 6th, 2012 at 20:40

any way to go back?
    i dont really like it:( loved to see all tabs at once.

6. #7 | Graham M. | September 7th, 2012 at 00:17

I’m sorry, but the tab navigator breaks the ability to quickly navigate, and scan 8-10 pages. Can we please have a disable option for this?

Many thanks!

7. #8 | Patricia Diaz | September 7th, 2012 at 00:18

I wish this was a preference instead of forcing everyone to the new tab navigator. I really miss having all my tabs visible all the time.

8. #9 | Roland | September 7th, 2012 at 01:24

This is not a desktop application! Those multiline tabs have a good purpose – to reach every interest topic with one click (or tab). Sorry, but this is a bad UX decision.

9. #10 | kike | September 7th, 2012 at 08:51

i dont like it. prefer the old style

10. #11 | Bob | September 7th, 2012 at 09:26

I much preferred being able to see all my tabs at a glance to be honest. I kept the number of tabs down to two rows intentionally so I could see them all without them taking up too much space. Scrolling means extra clicks. To my mind this is obviously the kind of interface feature that is quite subjective and I think retaining an option to extend the height of the bar (i.e. so you don’t have to scroll) would have been sensible.

11. #12 | zenhold | September 7th, 2012 at 09:33

I really love that you are working on the user experience but, PLEASE can you make that new Tab Navigator configurable?
    I don’t care so much about the looks of my dashboard but about the usability. And now I need to do two clicks to switch to certain tabs. One click for tab switching was really fast, and convenient.
    So: Could you please make that feature configurable? (on/off) :-)

12. #13 | Darren | September 7th, 2012 at 10:39

Hi There,

I love the new designs and changes. Netvibes is the first window I open every single morning!

I was just checking to see if there was a way to disable the new tab navigation bar. I currently have a large list of tabs – combined with my inability to accept change – I find it hard to ‘visualise’ and remember the tabs.

If not that’s no problem.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

• #14 | BG | September 28th, 2012 at 22:14

Totally legitimate gripe, Darren… The fact that NetVibes creates new tabs every single time I do a search is exactly why I stopped using this website!

13. #15 | Francis | September 7th, 2012 at 13:35

I like the new design but I prefer to have multiple rows for the tabs. Is it possible to have an option for that ?

14. #16 | cappadocia Forum | September 7th, 2012 at 13:36

Thank you I’m glad when I see a new design

15. #17 | Ivan | September 7th, 2012 at 16:10

I have many Dashboards but none of them have more than 20 tabs.
    All of them fit well in one row.

I know iGoogle had the same issue when they switched their tab to new version.
    Many users complained about it and I hated the new version too!

This here looks good and I can understand the reasons why you changed it.

But most users here are coming from desktop system and not from mobile…
    … on desktop you can display so many information you could not do that on mobile.
    So it is ok to have all these tabs in many rows as the users want it.

An option to still have many tab rows my come from some skilled Greasemonkey? ;-)

16. #18 | Siege | September 7th, 2012 at 16:29

I’d like to join the chorus of those who would like to have the option to return to the old tab system. I prefer to be able to see at a glance if any of my tabs have updates, rather than having to scroll and check.

I moved to Netvibes from iGoogle partly to avoid unnecessary and unwanted changes, so I hope this can be adjusted soon!

17. #19 | PJA | September 7th, 2012 at 21:54

Wow! A lot of reaction. Differing opinions. Personally I like it ’cause multiple rows of tags took space from the main page. I’m also all for navigating up and down the scrollable list.

18. #20 | paul komarek | September 8th, 2012 at 06:51

I prefer the multiple rows of tabs. Please let me get it back.

19. #21 | Maure | September 8th, 2012 at 09:22

+1 to #2, #3, specially #4, #5, and #6 and #7, #9, #10, #11, love #12.

I agree with #1 and #13 for some dashboards, I prefer the previous Tab Navigator on others. Please, let me free.

20. #22 | lsdo | September 8th, 2012 at 10:04

Not usability friendly. i want the classic Tab Navigator back. The possibility to switch easily and with the minimum of click from tab to tab from different row is impossible. it became tedious and unusable.

21. #23 | David MIles | September 8th, 2012 at 19:55

Longtime Netvibes user, hate the new navigation bar, I have many tabs. PJA, there are not really many differing opinions, the vote is pretty overwhelmingly against. Netvibes, please make this optional and let us choose to go back to the other bar

22. #24 | Daniel | September 8th, 2012 at 22:15

Is this blog being moderated?

Heavy users tend to have many tabs – and a multi-line “classic” view is the only practical way to manage Netvibes.

Many comments already raised this point.

Netvibes???????????????????

23. #25 | JTB | September 9th, 2012 at 00:59

I really don’t like this change. I prefer the old tabs. Why force this on users? Shouldn’t we have a choice as to our preference?

24. #26 | xiwi | September 9th, 2012 at 18:25

I really miss the multiple rows of tabs please make the old interface optional. Now, I have to use multiple desktops to have things organized… Or at least transform the drop down list into a full view of all tabs in a single screen, that would increase the usability almost to previous levels.

25. #27 | David | September 9th, 2012 at 22:30

I prefer the old style, I think it would be great to have a way to switch back to the old style tabs. I find easier to navigate if I can see all the tabs in one look. Now it doesn’t fell so comfortable.

26. #28 | Graham M. | September 10th, 2012 at 02:08

Is there an update on when the normal behaviour will be accessible again?

27. #29 | Paul Komarek | September 10th, 2012 at 05:00

I’ve noticed that, lazy person that I am, I no longer think to visit certain of the tabs because they’re hidden. On my android device (a xoom) it’s harder to manipulate the individual widgets. And the scrolling dropdown list is no help. Please just let us have our tabs back. It’s what made NetVibes special in the first place, after all.

28. #30 | Beverley Hixon | September 10th, 2012 at 10:45

Another plea to allow users to choose to return to classic Netvibes. We use our site to provide content for users in different departments and unless they can see their department’s tab when they open the page, they will be unlikely to scroll through and look for it.

29. #31 | Lucy Farnsworth | September 10th, 2012 at 12:28

I use Netvibes to display information for different groups of people – so each group has it’s own tab on my public page.

The previous tab style was much more useful and user friendly as it was easy for users of my netvibes site to see in a glance which topics are covered, which might be useful for them and which sections had new updates.

If people can’t instantly see which sections are available and relevant to them then they are a lot less likely to scroll through a list ‘just in case’ my site includes useful content.

It would be very much appreciated if we could have the option to choose between the previous tab layout and the new one.

30. #32 | Netvibes Friend | September 10th, 2012 at 13:21

I really don’t like this change. I prefer the old tabs.
    WHY force this on users? Shouldn’t we have a choice as to our preference?

31. #33 | jean-christophe | September 10th, 2012 at 17:17

Hello! A quick message to let you know that all your comments are forwarded to our team. Unfortunately I have no new information to share at the moment. But we’re listening! Thank you for your loyalty. :)

32. #34 | Bob | September 11th, 2012 at 01:07

Thanks, Jean-Christophe. Hope you told the team at the strength of feeling: 27 out of the first 29 comments, before you replied, were asking for a multiple row option! Desktop users especially want to see that their tabs are there so they don’t forget them, so they can see the number of unread items etc, and can get to them with a single click. Click the scroll buttons is slow and mouse-wheeling along first is slow and awkward (especially as you have to be hovering right over the tabs, so it’s a narrow strip for a mouse-wheel feature!)

Please tell us they’ll return multiple rows as an option?!

33. #36 | Stephen Foged | September 11th, 2012 at 13:37

I don’t mind the new design. I do understand what people are saying about the tabs.

But another feature/workflow was broken.
    In the classic netvibes when you clicked on a RSS feed that feed was maximized, that is good. You could exit maximized mode by clicking on the same tab.

New Netvibes this is broken. when you click the same tab you now rename it!?!?!?

I hope that also gets reverted.

34. #42 | Horacio | September 11th, 2012 at 14:44

Another one who dislikes the new tab line. I have some 30 tabs, and I use them all. The new system makes netvibes almost unusable to me. Please, make it an option, don’t force it on all your users.

Horacio

35. #43 | jean | September 11th, 2012 at 15:21

Cool, i will try it now

36. #44 | John | September 11th, 2012 at 15:28

Add me to the list. An option to enable/disable to single-line tab navigation would be a wonderful compromise. I can see where it’s great for mobile users on small screens, but as a (primarily) desktop user with plenty of screen area I much prefer the old way.

I’ve been a Netvibes user for longer than I can remember, and it’s certainly not something that’s going to keep me from using the site, but this is the first change where i immediately started looking for an option to change it back.

Thanks for listening!

37. #45 | K | September 11th, 2012 at 15:42

I’m having the same problem as #33. Also, I’m having a lot of problems when I try to mark tabs as read. When I click on the number, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.

38. #46 | Me | September 11th, 2012 at 16:39

What did actually change?

39. #47 | amy | September 11th, 2012 at 16:42

+1 to comment 33. I’m fine with the new tabs but I miss being able to easily close out of a feed and go back to the same tab.

40. #48 | Pierangelo | September 11th, 2012 at 16:56

I too am missing the old tab navigator, I was able to jump to whatever tab I wanted with just a single click. Please, let the new tab navigator behave like the old one with respect to overflowing tabs.

41. #49 | Nadie | September 11th, 2012 at 16:57

it really sucks, two rows of tabs are much more convenient. Thank god I have a wide-screen at home so all the tabs are visible at once, but at work it’s really hard to operate.

42. #50 | Jak | September 11th, 2012 at 17:11

Sorry, but either make this an option, or upset users seems to be the general view and I fully agree with them.

43. #51 | the.growler | September 11th, 2012 at 17:25

Please give users control over how their tabs are displayed. Like almost every other commenter so far, I organize my content into a large number of tabs – scrolling through them all is incredibly inconvenient. I am more than willing to give up some screen real estate at the top of the page to be able to see all of my tabs in one glance.

44. #52 | Karen | September 11th, 2012 at 18:03

Really hate the new navigation scroll bar. I use my public dashboard to share useful career sites with students. To use the scroll bar, you have to know what’s on the site and they don’t. Also the drop down feature doesn’t show all my tabs-just some!
    Basically those viewing the site have lost the abilty to browse – if they don’t see what they’re looking for, they’ll just exit the site. It sucks!

45. #53 | Richard Morris | September 11th, 2012 at 18:24

I have been a long time netvibes user and love it. However I really dont like the new bar. i prefer to see all my tabs at once. I hope you will give user a chance to revert to the old way maybe in preferences or something.

46. #54 | chris | September 11th, 2012 at 18:27

I love netvibes and its been the always-open tab in my browser for nearly 5 years.

Having to click the arrows to scroll through the tabs makes it functionally useless for me, to the extent that I’m now weighing whether to consolidate all of my existing tabs into approximately 12 that will fit in one screen and will require no scrolling. I’d really prefer not to have to do that, and don’t think I’d find another service I like as much as netvibes.

Please give us an option to revert this configuration. Maybe it makes sense on a smartphone? I don’t know what the designers were thinking…

47. #55 | Martin | September 11th, 2012 at 18:45

Agree with #33. Either you change the tab name or you open the edit options below the currently open feed. This breaks my personal workflow massively. Also, it’s not what i would see as “slimmer” and surely not “smoother”.

Also, the CSS seems to be broken with FF15 again, all the links in the RSS feeds are underlined now.

48. #56 | Mike | September 11th, 2012 at 19:41

To me it’s better than before, it jusst looks better for my clients, and surely they won’t have a problem to navigate a bit within the tabs. Maybe there’s a future way to design “folder tabs” to display only a few main tabs who display more tabs when the mouse hovers a main tab.

49. #57 | Rob Chinn | September 11th, 2012 at 19:50

I HATE the new single row tabs. Please at least make the old way an option. It’s driving me crazy, enough so that I will be looking for a different service if it doesn’t go back soon.

50. #58 | Frank Merlott | September 11th, 2012 at 19:52

I don’t like the change, it is wasting my time having to click the arrow to reach the tab. Not nice.

51. #59 | nv_poweruser | September 11th, 2012 at 20:11

Well, to bring back the old tabs, just install this userscript I just made

If you use Firefox, install Greasemonkey first

If you use Google Chrome, install Tampermonkey first

• #60 | Horacio | September 12th, 2012 at 19:19

Thanks thanks thanks!!!

Thanks a million for the wonderful script, thanks for giving me back my Netvibes.

Shame that Netvibes didn’t that myself, shame that they seem to ignore the problem…

• #61 | Tim France | September 12th, 2012 at 19:58

@ NV_poweruser #57: Thanks for what looks like a good band-aid. Do I have to install this on all machines I use Netvibes on? What about the viewers of my public page? They’re not going to do this?

• #63 | George | September 18th, 2012 at 13:41

Bravo PowerUser! This multi-tab thing has worked wonderfully and has saved me the expense of throwing my laptop through a window in frustration at these new “improvements” we’ve had foisted upon us. Thanks so much! You made my day.

52. #64 | Sam | September 11th, 2012 at 20:55

We love you Netvibes but please allow us a multiple row option! I am a heavy user of all my tabs and this has added an unnecessary complication to a once simple process. Hope you can hear us!

53. #65 | yiannis | September 11th, 2012 at 20:56

me too. very unusable.
    Let us choose the old nav style ,please.

54. #66 | Chilediez | September 11th, 2012 at 21:04

I use a lot of tabs to organize (and tabs are the reason I used Netvibes)

So this “slimmer, smoother, sexier” feature makes me have to click an addition 40 to 30 times per Netvibes visit.

So, I DO hate this feature to the point than I am looking for an alternative to Netvibes

Can it be turned off? If not, could you please add it as an option?

55. #67 | Tracey | September 11th, 2012 at 21:12

Hi there

I’d also like the option to have the multi-line tabs back please. Really appreciate that you’re trying to make UX improvements but this particular change just doesn’t work for me :( Which is a shame, because I’m sure a lot of effort has gone into the implementation.

Being able to view all of the tabs at once was great – it’s one of the main reasons why I’ve stayed with Netvibes as my main desktop RSS reader; nothing else I’ve seen gives a complete overview of categories on one-screen that I can easily pick from, depending on my current mood or interest. Scrolling, whether horizontally or vertically (drop-down) just isn’t as convenient.

Am sure the single-tab layout will suit some people, perhaps those with fewer tabs, so perhaps presenting it as an option will keep everyone happy?

Thanks for listening.

56. #68 | luke | September 11th, 2012 at 21:59

Please get back the old tab navigator, or make an option for this. I dont see how the new look is more practical.

57. #69 | Daniel | September 11th, 2012 at 21:59

Hi Netvibes Team,

as i use Netvibes every day, i need much more time to navigate since the “update”.
    Your changes are gerat, but I want to use my tabs in multirow too.
    Hope you find a solution to use the “old” and “new” stile through select the preferd one.

Thank you!

58. #70 | lbursell | September 11th, 2012 at 22:42

Hate the new version. Want my classic back. ‘Nuff said.

59. #71 | Paul | September 11th, 2012 at 23:04

Good to see new stuff happening, I thought NetVibes was dead :)

60. #72 | Ivan | September 11th, 2012 at 23:08

Great I just found this Greasemonkey script that support multi row tab:

Great to see that someone pick up my idea :-P

61. #73 | Ian Cook | September 11th, 2012 at 23:24

This is a retrograde step. Why is it that developers have this inbuilt need to fix things that ain’t broken? I appreciate that the developers are trying to “improve” things, but sometimes the result is something that is less convenient and less user freindly that it was before. This is one of those accasions. ALL such innovation needs to be on the basis of choice not compulsion. I am a reltively recent netvibes client, but this change is sufficiently inconvenient for me to be looking to move on.

62. #74 | Robert | September 12th, 2012 at 02:18

I like it! If only you’d do the same with the header space for the search box. It eats up a lot of real estate!

63. #75 | Elif | September 12th, 2012 at 04:54

Hi Netvibes! I have been using Netvibes for five years now and love it and use it daily. I have a couple of comments about the new navigation:
    First of all, I would like to go back to the old navigation design please. I couldn’t see any button to go back. I have a lot of tabs and now I can not see them all together. It is very important for me to get it back as I am using this page as a resource page for the people that I am working with. They will all be confused when they see this navigation. Please revert it or give us an option to choose how we want our sites to look like.

64. #76 | Netvibes_User | September 12th, 2012 at 07:02

The rowed tabs layout provided the user with a quicker global overview and more efficient access to all created tabs as opposed to the new scrollable layout, which saves screen space at the expense of usability.. An option to choose between tab layouts would be preferred.

None the less, great work and thank you on NetVibes as a whole!

65. #77 | Johan Ronnestam | September 12th, 2012 at 08:22

Please switch back or at least give me a possibility to do it manually.

You have destroyed what made me use Netvibes instead of your competitors!

The old way of instantly having an overview of all your tabs (and I hade about 100) was fantastic.

This is very bad.

66. #78 | Johan Ronnestam | September 12th, 2012 at 08:23

(and I’ve been a constant promoter of Netvibes on my blog since years back…with this new tabsystem I’m sorry to say that I’ll probably switch from Netvibes to something else within months)

67. #79 | leah baretta | September 12th, 2012 at 08:51

Always had a problem with firefox crashing down when I open a lot of flash based sites including netvides. Hopefully this solves it.

68. #80 | Howard | September 12th, 2012 at 09:18

Please make this new feature optional. The scrolling is painfully slow and very inefficient when you have a lot of tabs grouped. It is much better to be able to reach a tab with one click only.

69. #81 | Jose Jimenez | September 12th, 2012 at 10:52

I agree with many of the comments here. I have a lot of tabs and using this system isn’t convenient for me. Before I could see all my tabs and easily click on where I wanted to go. Now it requires more clicks and scrolling backwards and forwards. There should be an option to have this menu system or the old one. I wonder if this feature was tested with real users before it was rolled out.

70. #82 | Lightoller | September 12th, 2012 at 11:47

No, please give us the ability to switxh back to the classic version.
    It’s too slow and it’s not comfortable. It’s really really annoying because you never have the full picture and you lose additional time to find the target tab.

71. #83 | jean-christophe | September 12th, 2012 at 11:50

Bug has been fixed: from now on, when you click on a tab, it’ll close the feed reader window, as it did before.

72. #86 | rfrancis | September 12th, 2012 at 12:50

The author line on blog posts is now missing; please restore and answer other emails about this.

73. #87 | nike | September 12th, 2012 at 14:41

I’m having the same issue as #43 marking all unread items as read doesn’t work properly.

74. #88 | Olivier Travers | September 12th, 2012 at 14:49

“Why Wasn’t I Consulted?” The Netvibes team might learn something from reading this:

These days, serious web app developers run previews and user acceptance tests before rolling out updates that may, like this one, turn out to be counterproductive.

75. #89 | Bob Watson | September 12th, 2012 at 18:50

It’s a wholly inefficient way to navigate, substituting one click, i.e. moving from a goto paradigm, for many clicks, i.e. moving to a search paradigm, which is much slower and inefficient.

There needs to be a way to go back or at least to swap layout.

76. #90 | Hector Proud | September 12th, 2012 at 18:56

Would be aces if we could have option of both…

77. #91 | Tim France | September 12th, 2012 at 19:52

Wow, have you ever seen such a unanimous set of feedback AGAINST an ‘upgrade’ like this? This makes the Facebook timeline switch look popular!

I feel so bad for you, I am not even going to tell you all the reasons I hate it too.

Sorry guys. It truly sucks and wastes loads of our time.

78. #92 | olivier | September 12th, 2012 at 20:23

It is so uncomfortable…please give us the classic multi tab back now!!!!

79. #93 | Jojaye | September 13th, 2012 at 01:26

This is not a good idea for my desktop – in fact it creates more clicks for me. Does work on my portable devices. I would really like a switch back option. Thanks

80. #94 | fgwenger | September 13th, 2012 at 04:30

Don’t like the scrolling single row. I have plenty of screen room, so saving me a row doesn’t help, just makes it harder to navigate.

81. #95 | Rafael | September 13th, 2012 at 05:12

unfortunately I’m with these guys.

The one thing good about Netvibers (over other RSS readers) is the ability to have a full view (panorama) of a subject (ex.: technology tab). We can see what many sites are talking about in just one glance.

When you hide my tabs, I lose some of this “eagle eye power”, to monitor everything at once.

82. #96 | Claudia Kaldenbach | September 13th, 2012 at 09:05

I prefer the multiple row as it used to be, since I have tens of tabs created. Would love to be able to choose how to navigate. I would really like a switch back option also..

83. #97 | kei17alg | September 13th, 2012 at 09:59

I love Netvibes, but PLEASE allow us a multiple row option! Practically all has been said about it by all other posters except one thing.
    In the old interface with multiple row tabs, the color of the tab changed when you clicked on it. So you could always see, which tab you were on. In the new interface the color does not change, but instead there appears an arrow on the right of the tab. Now you cannot see in one look which tab you are on. So this is also not an improvement. For public pages with many tabs the old interface was better because you could see all the tabs in one glance.

84. #98 | Jon | September 13th, 2012 at 13:36

Please please please give us the option to switch back.

I have spent years tuning Netvibes the way I like, and this makes my dashboard as good as useless.

Please dont make me look for an alternative website to set as my home page.

85. #99 | Jose Ramón | September 13th, 2012 at 13:57

It’s bad option. I’m changing tab each 10 seconds and it’s crazy and little efective. Please, give us the option with all tabs in screen.

86. #100 | MC | September 13th, 2012 at 14:36

Sorry, don’t like this. Users of our website don’t find the hidden tabs anymore… Brrr

87. #101 | neil | September 13th, 2012 at 16:57

I will add my voice to the chorus. Navigation best practices have been negatively impacted by your new Tab Navigator and many have spoken. Remember, we are also your marketing team. Please give us all an option to switch to “Classic Mode”. Thank you. A huge fan since Netvibes’ infancy.

-=-=-

Je vais ajouter ma voix au chœur. Les meilleures pratiques de navigation ont été négativement impacté par votre nouveau navigateur et beaucoup ont parlé. Rappelez-vous, nous sommes aussi à votre équipe marketing. S’il vous plaît, donner nous tous la possibilité de passer en mode «Classic». Merci. Un grand fan depuis l’enfance Netvibes.

88. #102 | John | September 13th, 2012 at 20:09

It would be better to have a standard tab titled “Browse Topics” or “ALL TABS” where all heading could be listed in 2 or 3 columns. When you see all tabs it is easy to select a topic. The drop down menu does not show all tabs so it is inconvenient to the user.It takes time now even to edit tabs.

89. #103 | Charles V. DiGiovanna | September 13th, 2012 at 22:19

How do I ‘get/load/install’ the new Tab Navigator for my private dashboard?

90. #104 | Paul | September 13th, 2012 at 23:33

I agree with the majority here, I would like to have multiple rows back – at least as an option. Imposing these kind of changes on people without giving the option is just rude in my opinion.

91. #105 | Greg Drury | September 14th, 2012 at 07:01

From a teaching perspective 2 rows of tabs was sufficient to lay out a whole semester week-by-week. I want it back!

92. #106 | Miguel Molina | September 14th, 2012 at 07:29

I prefer the old style

93. #107 | Sarah | September 14th, 2012 at 09:28

I agree with those who prefer the old tab system. I echo these reasons in particular: two clicks to get to hidden tabs, people don’t know about tabs they can’t see (my site is used by the public).

Please give us the option to use “classic” or “sliding”

94. #108 | Richard Morris | September 14th, 2012 at 10:05

apparently noone likes this single row stuff. Is there a reason that you have not made it an option to switch back yet? Are you just wanting to make us suffer thinking we will eventually learn to like it? please let us know what you plan to do about it so some of us who truly dislike it enough to switch to something else can switch to something else sooner rather than later if you have no plans to make it optional. Thank you

95. #109 | MDL | September 14th, 2012 at 11:15

he he, bug: I’m on a tab, expand the edit section and then the icon chooser. without closing it, i click on another tab. result – the icon chooser is still there, the edit section has moved up and is visible in the page header. IE9.

96. #110 | Mats R | September 14th, 2012 at 15:49

I agree with almost everyone else here. This was a really bad move. For me it is really important that all the tabs should be visible and I will not continue using Netvibes until this is restored.

97. #111 | Greg Coyne | September 15th, 2012 at 21:08

If you’re interested in saving space, why not let additional tab rows extend upward into all that free space in the header? This looks like another case of mobile app design being foisted on desktop users. :(

98. #112 | Marilyn | September 16th, 2012 at 01:11

The new slim line feature is HORRENDOUS, AGGRAVATING, and a TIME-WASTER as it now requires endless scrolling back and forth to see the tabs. PLEASE give YOUR USERS the OPTION OF SELECTING the OLD, PREFERRED FORMAT.

Did you do any customer research first before you changed this format?

99. #113 | Richard Morris | September 16th, 2012 at 10:42

well on each previous occasion that you replied back to someone you did so within a few hours. Yet it has been days since i outright asked “Are you going to give us the option to switch back to the old way?” So im going to take your silence on the matter as a NO and will start looking for a new reader. Unless you would like to take this oppurtunity to let all of us know the answer to that question.

100. #114 | petercontact | September 16th, 2012 at 11:29

about the dropdown menu, i, like many people, use the mouse thats on the laptop and i didn’t buy an other mouse and i can’t scroll and i prefer to see all my tabs so i would u to add a setting to change the site to its previous form

101. #115 | Kaye | September 16th, 2012 at 14:52

Hi Netvibes – nothing like upskilling someone to use their website – I don’t mind the new layout only on my page I have 4 rows of tabs and my students who use my page find it difficult to find relevant content.

The new system works well on my other netvibes public page due to the limitation of tabs…..

I also find it difficult to copy widgets from one tab to a tab further down (lets say the last one) due to the scroll function…

Also the essential widgets bar often is unavailable???

102. #116 | fullbugged | September 16th, 2012 at 15:15

I too am going to look for a new reader, it apparent Netvibes have no interest in what its customers want, the lack of answers on this issue is appalling….

103. #117 | Haddad | September 17th, 2012 at 13:19

Hi, How to install the new Tab Navigator please.

104. #118 | Richard Morris | September 17th, 2012 at 13:41

Ummm what happened to Bobs comment asking netvibes just to speak to us? It was number 111 on the list here and now it is gone. Everybody in these comments are pretty much waiting on netvibes to just tell them if they are going to make this an option to go back to the old way. I am a long time user of netvibes. i have been using this service for years. It doesnt matter whether i use it for free or not. I have gotten so many people to use this service and talked your website up to everyone. We do deserve an answer. Now i know that previously when you decided to answer someone you did so within just a couple of hours. I would, as well as the rest of the people on here, hope you will give us the same consideration and answer our question instead of just leaving us wonder.

105. #119 | Richard Morris | September 17th, 2012 at 19:34

Wow http://www.Protopage.com Is almost exactly like netvibes

106. #120 | Richard Morris | September 17th, 2012 at 22:52

i gave the netvibes team four or five days to answer and then i reposted the same question this morning and you still havent answered us at all. why are you ignoring this question????????
    Well i switched to feeddemon. I will let others know that you couldnt answer a simple question and never responded. Since i own a local computer shop ill make sure everyone else gets a different rss reader. Ill give them protopage or feeddemon. Thank you for providing this free service to us but to change something like this is wrong. what is even more wrong is ignoring everyone here in this column. by switching to feeddemon i will always have the program should i need it. then i wont be held at whim with changes that dont make sense. Goodbye netvibes.

107. #121 | Martin | September 18th, 2012 at 03:28

You got to wonder why people get so aggressive when something thats free does not work like they think it should.

I really appreciate that you changed the behavior back to close a feed when you click the tab. Thanks for making good use of the feedback.

108. #122 | Richard Morris | September 18th, 2012 at 13:40

nobody is bieng aggressive. however when you know that netvibes is reading this column and they refuse to respond with either a no we arent switching back or making it possible to, or we are looking into making it possible, is really a bunch of bull. and 1 post i know of for sure which was Bob asking netvibes to just talk to us to let us know what is going on, was removed most likely by the netvibes team and for what reason. I have tried to remove my own posts to see if it was possible and as far as i can tell it is not possible. which leaves only 1 explanation. netvibes removed it.
    Also if you are the same martin in post 54 that means you agree with the poeple here about changing the tabs back or making it an option. Also you sound a little aggressive yourself in that post.

109. #123 | cindy petterson | September 18th, 2012 at 21:04

Add my voice to the return the tabs!!! My netvibes is used by students and teachers in our school they also will not go searching for tabs if they are not instantly visable. Also hard to add new information to the tabs.

110. #124 | Donna DesRoches | September 18th, 2012 at 22:22

I found the old tab format much more useful and efficient. I use it to share resources with teachers in our school division and they need to see at a glance what is available. Please provide an option to use the old or new tabbing system.

111. #125 | Trixie Belden | September 18th, 2012 at 23:43

Agree with above folks. I want to have option to switch back to old format. I like Netvibes & would hate to switch, but have gotten Feedburner and Protopage ready to go.

112. #126 | nv_poweruser | September 19th, 2012 at 10:24

I’ve updated the userscript, this is now a standalone extension. (you can uninstall greasemonkey / tampermonkey )

Grab it for

Firefox : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72757/nvmultiline.xpi

Google Chrome : https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pdgjefadoieadohnhaenhadeggfldajh

Safari : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72757/NvMultiline.safariextz

• #127 | neil | March 25th, 2013 at 18:30

Thank you – very much – for what you did to bring back the multi level navbar, back in Sep 2012! As you may already have noticed, with this latest netvibes upgrade, your extension is no longer doing the magic.

Looking forward to hearing back and helping in any way I can.
      Cheers
      Neil

113. #128 | jean-christophe | September 19th, 2012 at 16:05

Please read: Feedback: A Few Words About The New Tab Navigator. http://bit.ly/QBLUhZ

• #129 | Bob | September 28th, 2012 at 10:45

Thanks at last for the feedback. I get that the single-row tabs are designed for smaller devices, but you’ve *very clearly* got a lot of users on desktops who hate it.

You say you don’t want to create “100 different versions of Netvibes” but there are already functional and visual customization options built in. An option to have either single- or multiple-rowed tabs is hardly the most complicated or confusing thing in the world, especially given it’s exactly the kind of function that makes sense given the variety of devices you’re designing for. If you want to avoid lots of “different versions” then recommending a plugin (which could late break or cause other problems with development) is weird.

You’ve got like a hundred comments on the original thread telling you single-row doesn’t work for your desktop users. It’s not just the boring and inevitable resistance to change that accompanies every Facebook update etc. You’ve taken functionality away from high res browsers so it works with phone users, and in doing so you’ve reduced the on-screen information and increased the clicks requred to navigate about.

Also recommending reader view shows that you don’t know the value of your own product. I could have used any feed reader! But I use Netvibes because it was the best of a bunch allowing me to create a tabulated, newspaper-like display. If the recommendation is “use a reader” then I’d use a competitor for that.

Every time I have to click along my two-to-three screen’s worth of tabs I am more frustrated and I will switch to a dashboard competitor if the functionality is not restored.

114. #130 | Numenal | September 19th, 2012 at 21:11

I don’t like the new layout at all. It looks like the old blogger site. No thanks. I love, love, love the previous format and have exactly the widgets I want (which no longer function).

I don’t want to switch.

I vote no.

• #131 | Numenal | September 19th, 2012 at 21:28

Sorry; I thought this page was a preview of the new layout. Still don’t like it though, and I did read the feedback link above.

I adore the old version. I don’t think I’ll be using netvibes anymore.

115. #132 | Please | March 28th, 2013 at 02:07

Hey the userscript and the extension to fix this problem ceased to work! :(

Extension:
    For Google Chrome (Mac / Windows), go to https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pdgjefadoieadohnhaenhadeggfldajh
    For Safari (Mac / Windows), go to http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72757/NvMultiline.safariextz
    For Firefox (Mac / Windows), go to http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72757/nvmultiline.xpi
    Restart your browser (if needed)

Userscript: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/145557

and by the way you don’t need Tampermonkey to install scripts in Chrome… just drag and drop a user.js in the extensions tab, guess the creator suggested it beccause it may be easier that way =)

116. #133 | George | April 29th, 2013 at 00:37

So NetVibes still not listening – and script that fixed it still not working. So I’ve been using the single line tabs for a good while now thinking it’ll get better. Nope. Really horrible. Still. So is this it now, it won’t get changed back or you won’t release a Chrome script to get the multilayers back? What is the percent of users that prefer this new layout? What percent would you want to consider making it permanent? I’d guess you’d be shooting for 70% approval. My guess after going through these notes your getting less than 5%. So I’m just confused as to the decision making process here….

117. #134 | website | May 20th, 2013 at 19:11

Heya just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let
    you know a few of the images aren’t loading properly. I’m not
    sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different browsers and both show the same results.

118. #135 | Paul | June 3rd, 2013 at 14:34

Just FYI. I found this new userscript that works – for now…

119. #136 | Neil | June 5th, 2013 at 17:54

Thanks Paul – Could you please provide or point us to installation instructions? I am using Safari