New Reader: A More Detailed Overview

A couple of weeks ago, we launched our brand New Reader, designed for optimum readability on all devices. And we thought this might be a good time to walk you through it, in details.

Reader View is usually considered the natural way to consume RSS feeds, as it allows you to have a quick overview of all your sources, without distractions. The great thing about Netvibes is that you can easily switch between the Reader View and the Apps View with the switch located at the top of your dashboard. So whatever your preference is, you can easily switch and keep your content intact.

But let’s get back to the Reader View for now. As you can see in the picture below, the screen is divided in three main parts: the Tabs panel (A), the Header with options (B) and the Main Window with your content (C).

newreader_1

Let’s have a look at the Tabs panel first. On top is the name of your Dashboard (1) and an arrow (2) to collapse the Selection menu (3), which allows you to switch between All Feeds, Slow, Saved and Recently Read.

newreader_2

Below this menu is a list of all your tabs (4) which you can easily expand by clicking on the arrow on the left, displaying all feeds inside this tab. There’s also a button to create a new tab (5), if you need to.

Now let’s have a look at the Header

newreader_3

The Header is mainly a tool bar that allows you to do a large array of things: open or close the tab panel (1), to gain more space if your screen is a bit narrow, a tool-tip with specific options for the current tab or feed (2), two arrows to navigate through your feeds (3), a drop-down menu (4) to switch between the different available views (List, Expanded and Mosaic), a mark read/unread button (5), a refresh button (6) and a button to open or close the Livebar panel (7).

And finally, there’s the most important part: the content

newreader_4

Items are ordered by date, the newest at the top. Refresh is automatic, so you don’t need to do anything, your content will always be up-to-date.

When reading an item, there’s a bunch of things you can do: mark it as read/unread (1), save it (2) to read it later or share it (3). If you click on the title (4), it’ll open the item in a new window. If you prefer to keep everything inside the same window, you can click on “web site view” (5) to read the article inside an iframe, then click on “reader view” (6) to come back to the feed item.

In the settings, you can adjust the spacing by activating the Compact Mode, and for larger screens, you can also change the article maximum width. The Reader View also features a Livebar, an active sidebar that lets you run your favorite apps side-by-side with your content.

So here you have it, a detailed overview on our New Reader. If you want more in-depth information, be sure to check out our documentation.

And as usual, if you have questions or remarks, let us know in the comments below or on our Uservoice page.

Tags: , ,

16 Responses to “New Reader: A More Detailed Overview”

1. #1 | Anon | February 5th, 2014 at 17:59

Thanks for the changes and for having listened to your users on this new reader!

A few enhancements requests ordered by priority (first is of higher priority) (that’s according to me, of course):

– Could we have an option to also have the tabs panel in compact mode? Too much scroll is needed when you have a lot of tabs.
    – Could we have an option to display oldest items first?
    – Could you remove the confirmation dialog when using the ‘A’ shortcut to mark all items as read?
    – The tabs panel looks disabled with the tab icons and the tab texts being grayed out. Could they be left normal (normal icons, white text)?
    – Could you move the button to “mark all as read” so it requires one-click only?

2. #2 | Rassi | February 5th, 2014 at 18:48

Help! My Header strip has “odd” icons instead of the ones you show in your blog post. How can I get the correct icons? Here is a link to what I get:

• #3 | jean-christophe | February 6th, 2014 at 10:22

Hello. Could be an issue with your browser’s cache. Try clearing it and see if it resolves the issue.

• #4 | Rassi | February 6th, 2014 at 18:21

Tried clearing my cache – no luck. Still have the same “odd” icons as in my original post.
        Any other ideas?

3. #5 | salguod | February 6th, 2014 at 01:48

Hurray! Compact mode and full screen width!

Still, two big issues with the new reader need to be addressed:

1 – Stripping of blockquotes and other formatting makes reading difficult
    2 – Browsing with the keyboard P & N keys is broken as the post being displayed is almost always off screen. Using the on screen arrows is a little better, but still not good.

4. #6 | stevesliva | February 6th, 2014 at 03:06

“Maximum adaptive width.”

OH THANK GOD.

And now, a keyboard shortcut or always-present button for collapsing an article. Reading tiny narrow stripes of text have confirmed that it’s annoying to have to scroll or expand the next article. Collapse and take me back to the list, please.

5. #7 | Kristie | February 6th, 2014 at 04:45

I would love an option to have the arrows that navigate the feed situated close to the side edge of the screen. When reading on my iPad, I can’t just hold it and have one hand in an easy position to tap the ‘next’ button. Having it center and high on the screen means hovering my whole hand in the air if I’m cycling through a bunch of feeds, which isn’t comfortable. The previous version had buttons on the bottom right, which was somewhat easier, although they were quite thin height-wise, and I often ended up tapping the button that expanded the bottom bar instead of the next item.

6. #8 | Phil | February 6th, 2014 at 11:11

Ok, nice guys, but there is one more thing that we miss.

Where is the dark theme ? :)

7. #9 | ukash | February 11th, 2014 at 14:49

ukashankara.com

8. #11 | Lori | February 13th, 2014 at 01:58

Still not working with IE8. I get constant script errors and can’t see any of the photos in my feeds.

9. #12 | konto | February 15th, 2014 at 16:34

Hi, this may be too late for the Devs to read this, but here goes:
    Often when I read long posts I find it inconvenient if I want to check what blog I’m currently on (when reading posts from multiple sources – so the tab panel only shows which tab is chosen).
    I follow loads of art/illustration blogs and I don’t remember all the artist’s names/nicks. These sort of blogs often have many images in one long post, so when I’m in the middle of a post, I can’t easily check whose art I’m looking at.

It would be great to have at least one or at best both of the following:
    – a dot next to the currently displayed blog in the tab panel (or underline or whatever you see fit)
    – the name of the blog to the right of the Tab name in the otherwise ‘less usefull’ white top bar.

Thanks for the nonetheless great reading experience.

10. #13 | calway | February 21st, 2014 at 02:12

I have a little problem since the new reader came out. I set my news in ‘apps’ view with 4 feeds in each app. If “LOAD ALL TABS AT STARTUP” is turned
    on, then ‘OLDER’ button will not work. It just spins around not going to older news.
    I would appreciate it if you could check this out and find a fix for it please.

11. #14 | konto | February 21st, 2014 at 10:16

I have another one:
    When I add a feed the preview doesn’t work i.e. the frame is diplayed but the content doesn’t load.
    best

12. #15 | Zahnersatzversicherung | March 14th, 2014 at 22:26

i miss the dark theme too!

13. #16 | Peter Demel | March 30th, 2014 at 22:37

It looks very good. Thanks for the changes.