Netvibes Wasabi Introduces a Whole New Way to Manage the Real-Time Web

netvibes-wasabi-edition

Highly anticipated Netvibes Wasabi exits private beta and introduces the Web’s first and fastest 2-in-1 Smart Reader, Push Notifications, and near real-time RSS technologies

Paris, France—December 9, 2009—Today at Le Web ’09, Europe’s premier Internet conference, Netvibes (business.netvibes.com) announced the public release of Wasabi, Netvibes’ fifth generation personal dashboard publishing engine designed specifically to help people better manage all aspects of the real-time Web. Wasabi introduces a completely new way to manage the real-time Web, with an all-new Smart Reader that accelerates and delivers everything users enjoy on the Web—from widgets to Twitter, Facebook and RSS feeds—as a continually flowing, constantly updated, cascading stream of personalized information. Moreover, Netvibes Wasabi also gives people an easier and faster way to publish personalized dashboards and interactive websites for free, with new visual design tools and multiple page publishing features. Netvibes Wasabi is now available at: http://www.netvibes.com

“We’ve entered the real-time Web without the right tools to manage it all in one place. So we jump endlessly between our RSS reader, startpage widgets, Twitter dashboard, Facebook page, chat applications, desktop, phone and Web browser,” said Freddy Mini, CEO Netvibes. “Wasabi is the first to offer an easier and better way to view and manage the real-time Web. No clicking from link to link, no refreshing, no application switching. Just a free-flowing stream of everything that matters to you on the real-time Web.”

Ever since Netvibes Wasabi entered private beta testing last month, tens of thousands of requests by users, companies and publishers have been made in hope of getting early access. Starting today, Wasabi is now publicly available to everyone for free at: http://www.netvibes.com.

We are currently upgrading all users to the new version. The process will take a few days. If you can’t wait to get upgraded, you can get an instant upgrade by visiting http://wasabi.netvibes.com/:

bt-upgrade-wasabi

New Features Designed For the Real-Time Web:

Dual-Purpose Navigator: Netvibes Wasabi is the world’s first 2-in-1 widget startpage and feed reader, which offers multiple ways of viewing, organizing and personalizing the real-time Web.

Netvibes Smart Reader: Netvibes Wasabi offers the fastest reader on the planet. Unlike other readers that just do RSS, Netvibes Smart Reader delivers everything—RSS, Twitter and Facebook updates (coming soon), widget apps, notifications, photos, podcasts, videos and more—into a virtually endless, universal stream of personalized media. New mosaic views also give people a new way to view the real-time Web, like a beautifully designed, personalized magazine.

Near Real Time RSS: Netvibes Wasabi comes with a brand new feed delivery engine. Netvibes new instant update engine and full support for Pubsubhubbub and RSSCloud technologies accelerates and brings RSS into the era of the real-time Web. No more waiting or refreshing; the latest feeds are delivered to Netvibes users in near real-time.

Multiple Page Publishing: Netvibes also becomes a rapid Web publishing tool. Users can choose from more than 185,000+ widgets and feeds and 1000+ themes from the Netvibes Ecosystem, and quickly build interactive, personalized websites in just minutes using Wasabi’s new visual design tools that give users complete control—without the hassle of coding. Wasabi also offers unlimited page creation, free hosting, flexible layout, multi-view widgets and HTML support.

Push Publishing & Notifications: Netvibes makes it easy for publishers to send live notifications, widget and content updates, and design changes to users with Netvibes Premium Dashboards, while giving users the power to choose which updates they like most.

Drag-and-Follow Widgets: Facebook, Twitter and MySpace widgets make it easy for users to follow new topics as they appear by simply dragging any hashtag or username out to automatically create a new widget to track that topic or conversation.

Share/Save/Bookmark

64 Responses to “Netvibes Wasabi Introduces a Whole New Way to Manage the Real-Time Web”

1. #1 | Jose | December 14th, 2009 at 11:22

I can´t access to wasabi neither from http://wasabi.netvibes.com/ nor my account.How can i access?My account has 4 years ago but i don´t meet the way to test wasabi.
    Thanks!

2. #2 | Jerry Chappell | December 14th, 2009 at 14:45

How do I get off Wasabi? I’ve been on the beta for a couple of weeks and it seems to be getting worse, not better. I seldom use the feed reader, and in the widget view, the new message count never works so it’s impossible to mark them as read, making everyday use very difficult. Give me my old Netvibes back please!

3. #3 | Justin | December 14th, 2009 at 15:08

@Jerry Chappell::
    I’m with you…Wasabi has been a very negative experience for me. My feed counts are still off, and I notice they’re giving this to everyone. Yikes! I love Netvibes, but guys, Wasabi is half-baked at best. Give it some more development love, please!!

4. #4 | Jojaye | December 14th, 2009 at 16:11

Well the count is off (15648? lol unread yikes!) I could kindof live with it. Wasabi is very slow to load, verrry slow. Please fix it

5. #5 | Biologikos | December 14th, 2009 at 17:26

My account has 4 years ago but i don´t meet the way to test wasabi.

6. #6 | nsfw | December 14th, 2009 at 20:17

Is there a way to change widgets view not to notify me of XYZ new entries and just show them to me?
    I really don’t like this feature and slows me down a lot.

7. #7 | Miss Liz | December 14th, 2009 at 21:15

I tried Wasabi and do not like it. Especially do not like the left side of landing page. The vertical stacking of index topics is unattractive. The color of the stacking is unattractive. I second Justin @ 3 above–much more “developmental love” is needed.
    Change can be good. However, thus far, I prefer My Netvibes minus Wasabi.

8. #8 | LikedTheOldNetvibes | December 15th, 2009 at 00:34

Jerry summed up my experience pretty well. I’ve been doing the Wasabi beta for a while now and haven’t enjoyed it at any point. As has already been stated, it’s very slow, read counts almost never work correctly and for me most of my feeds no longer update on any kind of regular schedule. Sometimes normally active feeds are now updating only once in 1/2 a day or more. Crazy stuff.

All this sounds like common complaints so in a way that’s good – netvibes must realize these problems are widespread.

9. #9 | Ramin | December 15th, 2009 at 02:00

VOW. I don’t get this much of criticism and complaint. I have used Netvibes for a few months and Wasabi for a few weeks. Before Wasabi I never used its feedreader but after using Wasabi I can say it’s wonderful. It is amazing that we could have dufferent variant of feed reading in one place (including website view, read it later and more). Overall I can say Netvibes is the best Home page. I have tested all. Where else we can get such a powerful feedreader , different views plus viewing our widget in the same place. .Netvibes is slow and I hope Netvibe will do something for it but for temporary problems I prefer to wait until everything is on its order.

10. #10 | iron2000 | December 15th, 2009 at 03:45

Wasabi is not so good here too.

The unread count is wrong and it loads slow, the whole interface is sluggish.

Well, its more like a downgrade.
    Hope it gets better.

11. #11 | Samy | December 15th, 2009 at 17:42

@Jose : if you give your e-mail address to our support team at http://tinyurl.com/nvform they will be able to help you complete the switch to Wasabi
    @Jerry @Justin we understand that you may be upset but the feeds count issue. We really wanted to fix it once for all this week but we ran out of time. Rest assured that this issue is among our top priorities right now. As Wasabi is still a very young product, you can naturally except lots improvements in the coming weeks.
    @Jojaye Using a version of Firefox or IE that contains several plugins may slow down your experience
    @nsfw the notification only happens when a new entry is added to the feed while you are actually looking at the reader. If you are not using the reader while the feed is updated, you won’t see any notification.
    @Miss Liz We’ll try to improve the design step by step.
    @LikedTheOldNetvibes slowness issues can occurs on Firefox and IE, we need to work on more optimization for theses browsers. On the other hand, Wasabi is pretty fast on Safari and Chrome.
    @iron2000 it wil! we work hard to improve all the aforementioned points.
    @Ramin thank you for the positive note :cool: while we are still working on optimization issues with FF and IE, try to switch to Safari or Chrome to experience immediate increase in speed.

12. #12 | nsfw | December 15th, 2009 at 19:01

@sammy I leave the netvibes tab open all day and switch back to it to check on breaking information that i’m following. as you already know, when i go back to the netvibes tab i just see a bunch of stale feeds with XYZ new stories on a page full of feeds. What a pain it is if i have to go click on every feed to update.

13. #13 | Jojaye | December 15th, 2009 at 19:33

@sammy – my Firefox was not slowed by old Netvibes, just your wasabi. So no -its not my plugins! My Firefox is not slow on any of the following “homepage” sites (that I hate, so I do not use)google,yahoo or msn. Nope 8-) its definitely wasabi. BTW that plugin count is now starting to annoy me too

14. #14 | rdg | December 15th, 2009 at 21:10

wasabi is considerably slower than the old version — is there any way to downgrade?

15. #16 | Ross Martin | December 16th, 2009 at 01:11

Don’t like the new item indicator bubble in RSS feeds: “X new items” – I’d rather not have to click through that bubble everytime to get to content. Is there a way to turn it off?

16. #18 | Fellows | December 16th, 2009 at 10:16

My feeds aren’t updating nearly as often as with the previous version. Reloading individual feeds doesn’t work at all.

Is there any way to downgrade back to the previous version?

17. #19 | nsfw | December 17th, 2009 at 15:35

Thank you! I see you got rid of the XYZ number of new stories button and change it to yellow highlighted text that auto updates. Much better. Now I can stay with netvibes.

18. #20 | Samy | December 18th, 2009 at 14:42

to @Fellows and the others: Several fixes have been put online today, some of the aformentioned issues should be fixed (except the slowness in FF and IE)
    @rdg try switching your browser to Chrome or Safari, the experience is currently way better.
    @Jojaye I agree. Wasabi running on FF is far from being optimal in the current state (especially on mac), lots of optimization work is under way.
    @Ross the notification appears only when you are actually using the reader, ie. you don’t get any notification if your feed have been updated while you were doing something else on your page, then went back to the reader. Not possible to switch it off for now.
    @nsfw yay!

19. #21 | Webkatalog | December 18th, 2009 at 20:15

20. #22 | Ed Nadrotowicz | December 19th, 2009 at 15:07

The entire reason to have netvibes has been undermined by this beta. If I cannot manage my feeds reliably, what is the point? My experience on FF has been abysmal so far. Feed counts off, mark all read for a tab doesn’t work (this is especially evident when tabs contain widgets that have tabs like USA Today or NY Times), the mark all read for a feed/widget works intermittently (the unread count in parenthesis is not always there) and the feeds don’t update in a timely fashion. I know it’s a beta but it feels like an alpha. With no clear path back to the prior release, I’m feeling like I will be moving to another solution. I’m trying it out on Chrome first. Maybe the better js engine will help. So far I’ve seen some of the same behavior. It’s a shame since I’ve been using and recommending netvibes since it’s early days (4 years or so?).

21. #23 | Tom Kirkendall | December 19th, 2009 at 19:14

Samy: I have been running Wasabi exclusively on Chrome, primarily in the reader mode. For the first two weeks or so, it worked fine and the RSS updates were coming quickly. Over the past three days, the RSS updates have slowed considerably, sometime taking several hours to update. I am now running both Wasabi and Google Reader on Chrome and Google Reader is updating far faster from precisely the same blog sites. You definitely have a problem with the RSS update in Wasabi, and its not solely an IE and Firefox problem. I hope you get it fixed because I like the reader interface.

22. #24 | Jason | December 19th, 2009 at 20:53

I’m not a big fan of Wasabi in practice (though in theory you have a good idea). For a really stellar experience, you would pay attention to the stories that I DO normally read and build up a semantic profile about me and my likes. The semantic profile could be done simply by looking at the title of the story, or alternatively (better alternative!) would be to CRAWL the stories that I click on so you can build a better semantic cloud of concepts that are related.

Right now, however, Wasabi is nowhere near this experience. It’s merely a random collection of links ordered in a non-relevant way (to my tastes). How DO you sort the stories right now?

23. #25 | Fellows | December 19th, 2009 at 23:16

@ Samy

Thanks for the reply, but the vast majority of my feeds still aren’t updating for a day at a time. I’ve tried reloading the entire page, reloading the individual feeds, and signing out, then signing back in. Nothing works.

The majority of my feeds are over 20 hours old. When I go directly to the RSS pages of those feeds, they’re up to date. I’ve tried Firefox, Opera, and Chrome with no difference.

Netvibes simply isn’t capturing the new RSS entries. The previous version worked great, is there any way to downgrade?

24. #26 | Jojaye | December 19th, 2009 at 23:58

@Samy – well Mac I have no knowledge of, & do not want any thanks 8-) Net/Wasabi is slow in ( take your pick) Windows XP or 7 w/ IE, Chrome & Firefox. OK? Slow is slowww. I really hope you get this fixed soon, its annoying. Also several of my feeds have stopped updating & I can get the updates on the “old” computer w/IE :-( & google. I hope this all gets fixed soon. The good news – this time you folks did not lock me out of my account like last time! And more good news -my unread feed count is stable at 17 down from 15k+. Thanks!

25. #27 | BrianA | December 20th, 2009 at 15:34

As above. Slow to update, unread count unreliable. Using Firefox with Win7 and XP. Looks like goodbye!

26. #28 | MPetersen | December 20th, 2009 at 19:58

Wow, so I upgraded and am really wishing I hadn’t. Why isn’t this still in Beta? It sure seems like it’s not ready for the masses.

1. Slow in updating. Far from being “real-time”. I have feeds that continue to not update and are showing old posts.

2. Unread counts way off.

3. Interface is just slow and more sluggish than the previous Netvibes.

27. #29 | hellveen | December 20th, 2009 at 21:10

Wasabi is too slow for me.
    How I can return to the previous version of the Netvibes?? Please, help.

28. #30 | SirFatty | December 21st, 2009 at 13:23

I have to add my voice to the RSS feed issue with Wasabi. I have feeds that have two day old (plus) feeds. This worked without issue on the previous version of netvibes.

Is there a way to go back, and is there a forum for users?

Thanks!

29. #31 | human | December 21st, 2009 at 15:50

Guys, just tell us when Wasabi will run @ production hardware.. :)
    I like it with all new features, but it’s too slow in feed updating for now (than gReader).

30. #32 | Samy | December 21st, 2009 at 16:08

@SirFatty We have dedicated forums for developers and translators though, otherwise you can find a getsatisfaction page at http://getsatisfaction.com/netvibes. Regarding the feed issue (which was fixed previously) the bug somewhat took us by surpise when it went back during the week-end. There is no way to go back to previous version, so please bear with us while the fix is on its way.
    @hellveen sorry, not possible to go back
    @MPetersen @BrianA we’re on it.
    @Jojaye ok. hopefully it should not last too long. We fully understand the annoyance and wants to get rid of this issue asap.

31. #33 | Samy | December 21st, 2009 at 16:10

@human same as above: we are aware of all the issues and our devs are really working like crazy to fix every single issue reported.

32. #34 | Tom Kirkendall | December 21st, 2009 at 17:29

@Samy The Wasabi feed is working well again this morning. I’m running it parallel with Google Reader on Chrome. It’s updating quickly and accurately.

33. #35 | SirFatty | December 21st, 2009 at 17:40

@samy

Thanks, RSS seems to be working again. The http://getsatisfaction.com/netvibes forum has traffic that is about a year old, and not too much info there either.

34. #36 | human | December 21st, 2009 at 19:03

@Samy
    Thanks for fast reply and it seems that now Wasabi is working again pretty fast, even better than GR. Great job guys!

35. #37 | Tom Kirkendall | December 22nd, 2009 at 00:35

@Samy

I guess the optimism of a fix was a bit premature.

Wasabi quit updating around mid-afternoon today and then went down completely, providing an message that my account is inaccessible because of an internal server error.

This transition is not going smoothly.

36. #38 | Álvaro | December 22nd, 2009 at 01:16

I’m spanish. Netvibes say: Sorry, we are unable to connect you to Netvibes.

37. #39 | Samy | December 22nd, 2009 at 14:17

@Álvaro @Tom This was due to a short-period downtime which occured yesterday. Really sorry for the inconvenience. We just announced a scheduled maintenance for Monday, December 28th with database updates that should prevent this kind of issue in the future. Still lots of hard work ahead…

38. #40 | Biiij | December 22nd, 2009 at 19:11

Hi there!
    I’ve been using Wasabi for a few minutes now. Not long enough to exprience the annoyances above but long enough to notice one or two features missing. First and foremost: we should be able to pick in the left pannel which feeds we want to see in the right one. I have suscribed to a newspaper feed that updates really often but of low importance to me. The problem is as it updates really often it puts the other feeds I do care about way down, “out of reach”.
    Second: Some of my widgets won’t work in the new wasabi environment (Facebook, Flickr, weather…). Maybe they’re not intended to work in the “feed” environment as they’re not feed “per say” but it would be a nice thing to work on.

One last note regarding the comments and answers above: please don’t tell me/us to switch to Chrome or Safari ’cause they work better. I love my browser as it is cause it fulfills my needs considering the way I use the internet. I believe Netvibes users are heavy internet users. I believe they have chosen their browser thoughtfully as it allows them to work their way around the web the way they want it to. I believe then that given a choice between their browser and Netvibes it’ll be their browser. I believe saying “use another browser” is just plainly disrespectful.

Good luck with the bug fixing. You’ve been doing an awesome job so far. Keep on to it.

39. #41 | BigTKirk | December 23rd, 2009 at 16:59

@Samy In addition to the other problems mentioned above, I notice today that Wasabi RSS feed is duplicating posts.

Is there any time frame yet as to when these problems will be fixed?

40. #43 | MPetersen | December 24th, 2009 at 03:48

Not sure if others are seeing this, but now there are more Wasabi issues. About half of my feeds are showing no articles and the error of “Looks like this feed is not valid or currently not responding.”

Sigh.

41. #44 | M.Jones | December 25th, 2009 at 14:41

This is not good at all. After upgrading to Wasabi: No articles or error: “Looks like this feed is not valid or currently not responding. 30 % loss of feeds on my public page. Please fix this!

42. #45 | Kredyt | December 25th, 2009 at 23:20

Very helfull for my work and my project. best regards

43. #46 | valerie | December 26th, 2009 at 05:01

I just upgraded and lost a bunch of my info from blogs. Uh..that is a huge problem. It says no info…but there is plenty of info on the blogs. FRUSTRATING!!! I guess I will be looking for a new homepage. Thanks for taking something great and make it frustrating!

44. #47 | per | December 26th, 2009 at 18:17

Common Netvibes, please hurry up.. This issue with Wasabi is embarrassing now.. My Netvibes pages are connected to other platforms and it doesnt look good at all.. Feeds broken, some sites 60-75% loss.. Fix it!

45. #48 | sikiş | December 27th, 2009 at 00:44

thanks you
    You will have to crawl very nice

46. #49 | Rollo | December 29th, 2009 at 12:41

The Wasabi feed widget has stopped parsing feeds from Postrank. I get “There is no news in this feed”. Please could you investigate. This seems to concern other “feed processors” too, it is perhaps a timeout.

47. #50 | BigTKirk | December 29th, 2009 at 15:53

@Samy: Is there any update on if and when the Wasabi problems are going to be fixed? The RSS feed is still not working properly — mine regularly drops posts, fails to pick up others and duplicates posts. What is the status of the fix?

48. #51 | yobefesh | December 30th, 2009 at 05:29

Well thanks to the problems with Wasabe I discovered iGoogle.
    It works unlike wasabe. Sorry Netvibes thanks for the memories.

49. #52 | The Chad | December 30th, 2009 at 22:21

The worst part of this beta is how difficult it is to give feedback. Where is the big “feedback” button that all Beta’s should have?!? People are complaining here when their input could make it better if in the proper forum. I want to give some helpful input, but don’t seem to be able to.

50. #53 | yobefesh | December 31st, 2009 at 17:44

@The Chad
    It doesn’t seem that they care for our input. Or apparently about rolling out a buggy product.

51. #54 | reerr | January 3rd, 2010 at 15:13

My Netvibes account is 2 years now, but never meet the way to test wasabi. Wish I will have a chance !

52. #55 | Lenen zonder bkr toetsing | January 4th, 2010 at 18:09

Really love it!

53. #56 | Fabian Huber | January 4th, 2010 at 18:28

Great! I want this on my iphone… NOW! :)

54. #57 | Netvibes | January 4th, 2010 at 19:26

@BigTKirk really difficult to announce a precise timeframe, some bugs are fixed in the minute, others could last for months. One thing is sure : theses are our top priorities right now.
    @MPetersen @M.Jones @Rollo @per our devs do their best.
    @The Chad link to our feedback form is on our footer http://www.netvibes.com/static.php?show=feedback this is the best way to provide your input. All messages are read, answered and taken into account.
    @yobefesh We do care about it, unfortunately most of the current issues requires lots of testing, trials and error and a permanent fix takes longer than planned.
    @reerr migration process is still ongoing.

55. #58 | Purshottam | January 6th, 2010 at 17:07

I think this is amazing. Netvibes just got cooler and much better. infact, the reader is better than Google reader.

And ya, lets have a feedback button.

56. #59 | Paolo | January 11th, 2010 at 00:01

Yeah…used to love the rss feeds on netvibes…now with the new and “better” wasabi update the feeds are all messed up… why? Please fix these problems asap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

57. #60 | r4 kaart | January 11th, 2010 at 13:39

Im using firefox 3.5.7 but keep having issues with my page freezing, IE looks like its working better though

58. #61 | Übersetzung Polnisch Deutsch | November 15th, 2010 at 00:09

I think this is amazing too. Netvibes just got cooler and much better. infact, the reader is better than Google reader.

59. #62 | Vereidigter Dolmetscher | November 15th, 2010 at 09:10

Yeah…used to love the rss feeds on netvibes…

60. #63 | Übersetzung | November 23rd, 2010 at 11:51