netvibes update and coming improvements

First and foremost, please accept our apologies for the downtime following netvibes’ major architecture upgrade.

We anticipated a few hours (3 hours) of downtime but encountered unforeseeable unusual technical details. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience caused.

This update was needed for major architecture improvements that will enhance better performance and build exciting new features.

Everyone on Ginger

Everyone will be on Ginger. The most important migration of netvibes history is in progress and all accounts starting with the most used, will be migrated to Ginger.

All your existing subscriptions on Coriander will be added to your Ginger account. In the interim and due to the volume of Users to be migrated, we had to shut down the server and temporarily disable the friend features. Do not despair, they will be online again soon.

Thanks to your incredible feedback, Ginger is now ready for massive deployment.

We have listened to you: create a public netvibes (or universe), is no longer mandatory. You can activate it anytime later.

We have worked on localization: our new CDN has improved dramatically both in speed and acceleration worldwide (USA, Europe, China, Africa, South America)

We will have a localized our start page for 140 countries and region thanks to our Localization Team. This is believed to be the biggest number of countries supported for any web 2.0 company in the world.

Netvibes platform

We have rebuilt our entire backend and made improvements about how content on netvibes can be manipulated. A whole new set of APIs for every service on netvibes will be available soon. People will be able to leverage their widgets in a whole new different way.

A new netvibes site

Even with a great product, we want to ensure that our message, our vision and what we believe makes us different from bigger players. Look out for upcoming blogposts about our new corporate web site.

Netvibes business services

Our Business Team is working hard to create more and more cool widgets from publishers and services like financiers, utilities and tv media to be available on your netvibes. This new unit will be announced during the web 2.0 conference.

Again, we apologize for the downtime. Our team is working diligently to make your internet life easier everyday and we thank you for your support.

See you soon for upcoming blogposts and enjoy netvibes.

Share/Save/Bookmark

37 Responses to “netvibes update and coming improvements”

1. #1 | NetEx | April 24th, 2008 at 17:35

Thanks for the so awaited news !

Any idea when all the minor ;) details (as activities and contacts) will be back to normal or even better ?

NetEx

2. #2 | anamorph | April 24th, 2008 at 18:07

i have one question:

netvibes drive … when ?!

cheers

3. #3 | Toon@Design Forum | April 24th, 2008 at 20:31

Why apologize when you’ve built (in my opinion) the best online app ever. Whats a bit of downtime compared with the hours of joy netvibes brings! (heck I got some work done for a change)

4. #4 | MS | April 24th, 2008 at 20:32

Can you add a way to remove the parts of Ginger many of us don’t want and won’t use?

The stars next to articles, the black bar on the top? Giving us options to remove these would be great!

Thanks

5. #5 | Bill | April 24th, 2008 at 20:33

I’d rather NOT have the improvements and simply have my netvibes page back. This is making me think long and hard about relying on a 3rd party to store stuff. Time to switch to pageflakes I guess :(

6. #6 | Franck | April 24th, 2008 at 20:49

@4 blog.netvibes.com/favicon… or http://www.netvibes.com/favicon….

@5 It’ll be back, no worries

@6 Thanks a lot for your support. It means a lot for us

@7 We’ll keep those 2 features… Black bar will soon integrate the settings too so it’s needed. The starring can also be used as a private tool to store items

7. #7 | Peter | April 24th, 2008 at 22:02

Missed my Netvibes pages whilst they were down.

Happy to have them back. Thankyou team Netvibes!!

8. #8 | Nord | April 25th, 2008 at 00:37

I don’t like Ginger.
    I would like to get Coriander back.
    Or at least the possibility to turn off things like age labels behind items and starring. Also, I don’t think any of the social stuff would be useful for me. If I want something like that, I open Facebook.

9. #9 | ElGeko | April 25th, 2008 at 07:05

I really like the speed improvement of the new NetVibe!
    It’s now smooth and fast when I had so many lags in my tabs before.

Thanks for this, great work, and keep it on… ;)

10. #10 | Jeremy | April 25th, 2008 at 10:09

How can I remove my public page? It may no longer be mandatory to create one, but I see no option of removing the one that WAS mandatory to create when I signed up for ginger.

11. #11 | wendy | April 25th, 2008 at 10:15

my public activity is gone as well and was just curious about the status of that. i currently use a few different startpages and there are pros and cons to each but overall i’ve found netvibes to be the best. no complaints from me.

12. #12 | Vetal | April 25th, 2008 at 12:23

netvibes drive disappeared… When would it be added (approximately)?

13. #13 | vincent | April 25th, 2008 at 13:04

not a word about Drive ? Where is the Drive Icon ? :D
    Anyway, Netvibes team rulez, as always !

14. #14 | BR | April 25th, 2008 at 23:42

Anyone else getting tons of these errors: "Our server is encountering a temporary issue. Your changes may have not been saved, reload your page to check it out. Netvibes’ team is sorry for annoyance."

I’m getting these repeatedly and consistently and OFTEN.

15. #15 | BR | April 26th, 2008 at 00:22

Two things:

1. I’m getting these again: "Sorry, we are unable to connect you to Netvibes." Anyone else?

2. How can I deactivate my public page?

16. #16 | Hummerbie | April 26th, 2008 at 08:02

Any notice on why the feedsubscribers are no longer showing up in the statistics of Feedburner?

Seems since the upgrade Feedburner is not getting any statictics from netvibes, I lost about 600 plus subscribers, all after the Netvibes upgrade :-(

17. #17 | Aaje | April 26th, 2008 at 11:08

Gentlemen, where have my RSS feeds gone????? Have I lost ALL my RSS feeds, that I so dilligently compiled???

18. #18 | jbriguet | April 26th, 2008 at 12:18

Well, i don’t really see the differences since the update, except one, netvibes keep saying me (almost every time i’m on my private page) "Our server is encountering a temporary issue. Your changes may have not been saved, reload your page to check it out. Netvibes’ team is sorry for annoyance.". So, it’s a good thing it’s not a blocking javascript popup anymore, but, what the hell is going on ? Is Netvibes in read only mode, and won’t save my changes anymore ?

19. #19 | Sigma | April 26th, 2008 at 20:30

NetVibes = Amazing

I hope you guys get bought by Google as a testament to your hard work. You guys deserve a HUGE pay day, as your skills and direction are amazing. NetVibes is truly an amazing platform.

I think NetVibes is perfect now although, I do have one small suggestion. When you star something it goes into your activity tab which is nice, although I wouldn’t mind it going into a Module on your page or something more easier to access. Because I like to keep NetVibes open while I am at work and star items I will read later.

Thanks again to you and your team for an amazing web platform.

20. #20 | Francois / London | April 26th, 2008 at 21:56

am not crazy.. Netvibes was unreachable again today, around 8pm GMT !!!
    Guys.. that’s no good. True that I can wait a bit to get a much better and faster Netvibes but since we use it more and more it’s always the time we would like to use that it’s down :-(

Anyway.. keep up the good work guys.
    We are still on your side ;-)

21. #21 | Anyway Netvibes can integrate with RSSMountain RSS directory | April 27th, 2008 at 02:14

It would be nice to access an RSS directory like RSSMountain right from Netvibes. That would be cool. Just search the stuff there and add it to netvibes.

22. #22 | Aaje | April 27th, 2008 at 16:58

So.. is the migration now finally done/over? I still haven’t got any of my feeds in my netvibes page..sniff.

23. #23 | François | April 28th, 2008 at 14:01

@wendy , have you still got any problems with your public activity, if so can you contact us?

@Vetal & vincent, We know lot of you want to have the drive but we’ll try to first stabilize existing features before adding new ones. I hope you do understand.

@BR, Have you still got this type of error message, can you please contact us and give us more informations about your configuration?

@Aaje, are you now able to see all your RSS feeds? Can you please contact us?

If you got any problems with netvibes don’t hesitate to contact our support team on:

24. #24 | François | April 28th, 2008 at 14:09

@Aaje, your problem should be fixed now :)

25. #25 | Sembach | April 28th, 2008 at 14:54

just discover netvibes blog. thanks for lot of useful informations.

26. #26 | jbriguet | April 28th, 2008 at 15:32

So, like there is no answer for me, should i consider the problem of netvibes always saying me "Our server is encountering a temporary issue. Your changes may have not been saved, reload your page to check it out. Netvibes’ team is sorry for annoyance." normal ?

(It’s doing it at work, where i can understand internet is not very stable, but also at home, where it shouldn’t)

27. #27 | jbriguet | April 28th, 2008 at 19:24

@jbriguet can please contact us on the feedback form? we are going to investigate together for solving your problem.

28. #28 | Anval | April 30th, 2008 at 09:24

I have the same question as many around here:
    – will be a way to remove the public page (universe)? it was mandatory when I migrated.

Feedback: i keep seeing this very very often "Our server is encountering a temporary issue. Your changes may have not been saved, reload your page to check it out. Netvibes’ team is sorry for annoyance."

Finally, thanks, I know the changes are gonna be good and even with all the issues lately, I still love netvibes and don’t mind reload a couple of times (for now) ;)

29. #29 | jim303 | April 30th, 2008 at 12:08

Thanks guys.
    I only realised how reliant (addicted!) on netvibes I had become when the servers went down the other day.
    I’ve tried ig**gle, bl*glines and a couple of others but netvibes is better-looking, quicker and handles feeds better than the lot.
    Love ginger by the way.
    Keep it up!

30. #30 | kab | May 1st, 2008 at 09:52

what a big update. it was working last week, sometime;
    but now i cant login to netvibes…

31. #31 | David Kostenlos | May 7th, 2008 at 20:43

I have the same problem like "kab". Login don’t work. What can i doo?

David

32. #32 | logical | May 10th, 2008 at 09:41

I read some where that Netvibes, a customizable start page, plans to open-source its widget platform, APIs, and iPhone version, said Tariq Krim, the company’s CEO.

"We want to compete with Google widgets. Our container supports Google widgets, and every other platform. If we release code, people will leverage it and grow the reach of our platform," Krim said.

If this is true then its really intresting to see wat google can do..

33. #33 | Forumistan | May 10th, 2008 at 23:38

We are waiting to the new improvements like these soon.

34. #34 | Tonya | June 29th, 2008 at 19:01

RSSMountain now offers APIs where you can search for RSS feeds and build them into any applications. See here: rssmountain.com/rssdevelo…

Not sure why Netvibes does not take advantage of this??

35. #35 | Youtube | June 29th, 2008 at 22:22

Missed my Netvibes pages whilst they were down.

36. #36 | Youtube | July 3rd, 2008 at 10:28

thanks.nice work.

37. #37 | kredyt mieszkaniowy | July 5th, 2008 at 08:18

Very good article, i would like to put it into my page, can I ??