Netvibes is now part of Dassault Systèmes

Today is one of the proudest moments in Netvibes history:

We are now part of Dassault Systèmes.

This is huge for Netvibes and great news for our users. The product, brand and team stays the same, but our ability to innovate will be greatly enhanced. So, why did we choose Dassault Systèmes and where is Netvibes headed?

Our vision has always been to bring dashboard personalization to the entire world. We’ve come a long way since our start as a personal startpage in 2005. Today, millions of people around the world use Netvibes Basic to dashboard everything that matters and manage their daily digital lives. Thanks to our users, Netvibes won more awards than any other dashboard solution and continues to grow as the best reader and monitoring tool in the world. Not surprisingly, companies were quick to see the potential of using dashboards for business, too.

Today, Netvibes Premium and Netvibes for Enterprise deliver dashboard intelligence for Fortune 500 brands, agencies, governments and enterprises, including L’Oreal, Digitas, McCann Worldgroup, Sage and the US Dept. of Energy. We currently serve more than half a billion Web apps per month and our ecosystem is now the biggest, with more than 250,000+ universal Web apps.

So what’s next?

We believe that the future of business is dashboard intelligence, which will help companies understand everything that’s going on across the real-time Web and inside and outside their organization. This ultimately will create a better world in which brands react instantly to changing consumer needs and a better work environment with personalized work dashboards tailored for each employee. This future puts Netvibes in a unique position in the enterprise market. It also means we are competing against large, multi-national corporations and enterprise vendors.

To continue to grow and to achieve our ambitious vision, we needed an ambitious partner. Our revenue is strong and we were never for sale, but we found an exceptional partner: Dassault Systèmes. They are the leader in 3D and PLM, with about 10,000 employees and 135,000 customers in the whole industry–they have global resources. Virtually every products in the world is designed using their software, including the Boeing 777–they have deep technology and modeling experience.

As Bernard Charlès says “Netvibes is a perfect fit with our 3D Experience platform. It will connect and combine products, usages, internal and external data sources, user intelligence and social tagging. All in real-time and in context for a better, richer experience and decision-making process.”

They believe in the future of bringing dashboard intelligence to all companies–they share our vision. This means if you like Netvibes, you’ll love the new Netvibes. Our product and team will stay the same, but you can expect new features, faster than ever. (In fact, you will see some great ones over the next few weeks!) Both users and clients can expect a long-term future growth and stability, backed by one of the largest public companies in France.

We are committed to this future. And we are committed to you. We are 100% committed to providing you with best dashboards in the world. Period. Without compromises.

Got questions? Leave a comment below. Drop us a note on Twitter or Facebook. We’d love to hear from you.

This is not the end of the journey. The journey has just begun. More info.

Read the FAQ (and especially this section devoted to the questions you asked us).

Freddy Mini
CEO, Netvibes

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Share/Save/Bookmark

57 Responses to “Netvibes is now part of Dassault Systèmes”

1. #3 | zgui | February 9th, 2012 at 11:24

sadest netvibes news ever…

2. #4 | MrGutts | February 9th, 2012 at 13:17

The past few years we understand that your focused has changed to companies and offering services to them. Hence the buyout from Dassault and no one can blame you for wanting money.

But

Since the single end user helped make Netvibes become a popular web tool, what now for us? What do WE the individual have to look forward to? Are going to sell VIP memberships even more that 39 dollars? I still don’t know what that gives the individual as far as function or productivity goes.

Will we see the Privacy policy change, from not collecting PII data to Dassault distributing it, are we ever going to see Netvibes go fully SSL/TLS?

3. #6 | Sam | February 9th, 2012 at 15:53

I have to admit that I am also disappointed to hear such a news.

To me Netvibes has always been the project created by an individual for an individual.

I second MrGutts with that idea that Netvibes is never going to stay the Netvibes we used and seek before.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

4. #8 | jean-christophe | February 9th, 2012 at 16:37

As a user, you’ve got everything to gain. This new partnership will allow us to make even better Dashboards. We’re gonna keep improving them for both our Basic and Premium users.

Regarding our Privacy Policy, it stays the same for now. As for SSL, it’s a popular request, and we’re planning something about it. We’ll let you know as soon as possible.

5. #10 | Joan J | February 9th, 2012 at 18:30

Congrats to you all Netvibes! I hope this works well for all of us.

That said, please remember that one size does not fit all, my needs are different than the next person or company. Opt in is way easier than the hunt search game to opt out of something ( like Facebook) not all of us want ( or need) to have our info sold or “cross platform” available with no opt out ( like Google.

I look forward to see what the future brings. I’ll stay a loyal & recommending Netviber as long as you do not go to the dark side ;)

6. #11 | fredr | February 9th, 2012 at 18:34

I heard Dassault is a french industrial who is interested only by the professionnal part of netvibes.

7. #12 | Arty | February 9th, 2012 at 19:12

Uhh… the Privacy Policy: the words “…for now…” are significant!

8. #13 | Charles | February 9th, 2012 at 19:48

I love Netvibes and use it daily. Please don’t forget about us measly users. Please…

9. #14 | art Bell | February 9th, 2012 at 20:50

We are your customers to lose.

If the single user gets the shaft from Sales, or Marketing, trying to Facebook us, etc., etc., there are plenty of RSS readers fish in the sea.

I want to say congrats are in order but it looks more like a sale for you and little synergy for us.

I have been involved in acquiring 12 companies for the 2 larger software companies i helped to start. We raped an pillaged all 12, and not one survived the light of day on its own.

10. #15 | Motsatt | February 9th, 2012 at 20:54

I have been a FREE user for years and absolutely love my 13 km long netvibes startpage (only app tab in firefox).

It is an absolute stunning experience to have everything cloud on one easily accessable, fast and very theme-able page. We all have to make money, and anything that are not evil and will keep this project going I’m very much for. I trust you guy’s even though you are french :p

Hello from Norway

11. #16 | marc | February 9th, 2012 at 21:42

Congratulations !

I really hope that netvibes will stay as good as now, or even better !

Please keep free the best news dashboard on web ;)

12. #17 | Daniel Bermudez | February 9th, 2012 at 21:57

hey guys, congrats!!! you have a great product

Best regards,

Daniel Bermudez
    Cartagena, Colombia

13. #18 | 5 | February 9th, 2012 at 22:53

As for privacy, it was the main reason to choose Netvibes over e.g. iGoogle. The risk of losing private data (http://www.netvibes.com/static.php?show=privacy) to a company acquiring Netvibes has always been there, the 1 year policy should still be enforced.

Looking forward to innovations.

14. #19 | Tom | February 9th, 2012 at 22:59

I agree with MrGutts this move seems to entirely focus on the B2B aspect of Netvibes. Don’t neglect the consumers that made you what you are. I love Netvibes and it would be a shame seeing it get consumed in all sorts of B2B initiatives.

15. #20 | James | February 9th, 2012 at 23:04

Awesome! I’ve been a non-enterprise user since ’06 and never stopped using it. I definitely see the value on the enterprise end and I wish you guys the best and keep making great features to the dashboard.

16. #21 | David | February 9th, 2012 at 23:40

Reminds me of yesterdays Dilbert http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2012-02-08

17. #22 | Mac | February 9th, 2012 at 23:43

I have tested Netvibes several times over the years and just made the switch permanently from iGoogle.

Privacy is a very big issue to me and I feel like I’m not alone. Netvibes doesn’t offer much better privacy than iGoogle but I feel like it is better than one company knowing everything about me. I would switch instantly to any company who would provide me a personal portal (similar to Netvibes, iGoogle, Yahoo, etc.) that actually offered privacy. I would be willing to pay $5.00 to $10.00 per month for this service. I think there are more and more people figuring out the Google / Facebook business model and don’t want to be part of it.

I’d really like Netvibes or Yahoo to change their business model (on the free individual side of things not on the business side) to one that sells privacy. Take the Sam Walton approach – “go where the others aren’t” – sell privacy to the individual instead of selling (out) the individual to advertisers.

18. #23 | Ralphg | February 9th, 2012 at 23:47

Sorry to burst your bubble, but “Virtually every products in the world is” NOT “designed using their [Dassault Systemes] software.” DS is just one of many CAD vendors, albeit one of the larger ones. Product design companies as large as DS, such as Autodesk and Siemens PLM Systems, would be miffed to read your enthusiastic claim — as would the dozens of other software comanies who compete with DS.

19. #24 | Jean-Philippe HALIMI | February 9th, 2012 at 23:47

Congratulations for this new partnership. :-) I just hope unlike Exalead’s case, Netvibes will continue to push forward the basic web application. Since Dassault Systèmes bought it, I feel Exalead is now totally about business and pro solutioning. Anyway it’s been a long time I’m using Netvibes and I still find it very useful and I suppose many people think so.

SSL would be very appreciated though :p

20. #25 | K. Preston | February 9th, 2012 at 23:49

I find it incredibly ironic that less than two weeks after I switched from Google’s Reader to NetVibes over concerns about the former’s upcoming changes to their privacy policy, the latter allows themselves to be bought out and can only say that their privacy policy will stay the same “for now”. Whee…

21. #26 | Joris | February 10th, 2012 at 00:19

I must say that I find the news saddening rather than exciting. I like Netvibes, but I’d rather not have anything to do with Dassault… The takeover of innovative companies by large corparations is often the end of an era, and not necessarily in a good way. Time will tell, if I don’t quit Netvibes beforehand (I really don’t like the Dassault group).

22. #27 | Jesus Garcia | February 10th, 2012 at 01:15

Have loved the service and been using it for my own personal growth professionally.

I’m very excited for the changes to come and want to congratulate your team for sticking to your freemium values; which help a little resourceful guy like me have an edge in a big corporate industry.

Aside from going premium or enterprise, will there ever be an option to purchase features individually as needed?

Thanks again and congratz to the whole team!

23. #28 | Jairo | February 10th, 2012 at 01:45

I’m really proud as a Netvibes user to see the advancements of you guys. It’s been a great ride.
    But, I feel just a bit like MrGutts. I’ve been a proud Netvibes user since 2006 (I think) and have tried my best to spread the word of this wonderful service.
    What I’ve felt in all these years was a tiny lack of company feedback via e-mail. I hardly remember when I get Netvibes mail marketing’s. And would really appreciate more if long time users could feel more “valued”. Like: I would really like to try a pro account, but I think they are REALLY expensive. I think that you could find some solution for the basic users like me, I don’t know. Rewards for send invitations to new users (like Dropbox did), something like that.

24. #29 | Chris | February 10th, 2012 at 02:37

I do hope DS won’t do any arm to Netvibes team and its excellent product.

DS has been known in the past (even the recent one) to make Huge mistakes toward the internet community.

As for now, I am not really pleased with this news, as DS has lost my trust with its stupid and rash past decisions. Let’s hope this won’t be the fall of Netvibes and that it will keep its openness and stay community-driven

A French daily user of basic Netvibes.

25. #30 | David | February 10th, 2012 at 04:39

Maybe a 3D dashboard? I hope.
    I’m using 3D technologies for more than 10 years. In my computer, in my camera, and my mobile phone. The web is the next player in 3D revolution.

26. #31 | remezen | February 10th, 2012 at 09:02

And what about so long-awaited feature to filter a feed? E.g. news from engadget, excluding word “Dell”?

27. #32 | Peter | February 10th, 2012 at 10:09

Dassault system?? The defence contractor?? I am not sure I like this….

28. #33 | K. Barua | February 10th, 2012 at 10:12

Very good question from MrGutts. I am a recent individual (Basic) user and I really like the product; so what’s next for the individual (Basic) user beyond the $39 offer (not sure what u get for $39??)

29. #34 | Dylan | February 10th, 2012 at 12:21

sounds for many like it isnt the happy day you describe

30. #35 | wallaby | February 10th, 2012 at 14:31

I hope it will not turn out to be the Skype-alike story. Skype was so cool and clean before it started to grow. I hate it now! It basically does nothing but eats more memory than Adobe Photoshop and is full of sh*t!

My recommendation would be to stay as simple as possible and try to keep the right course.

Netvibes has been the coolest dashboarding system so far. I use it every day. Don’t screw up!

31. #36 | Andrew France | February 10th, 2012 at 15:16

I’m also saddened by this news. I have been using Netvibes everyday for so many years and have recommended it to many people as a great feed reader. I was happy to give you money for the service if I could. But more and more you are moving into business solutions to the detriment of your home users. I really cannot see how Dassault’s aims as an engineering software provider could possibly match up to yours!

32. #37 | PK | February 10th, 2012 at 17:12

Bravo les gars !
    Ca me parait un bien beau tournant dans votre aventure.
    Dassault system est une superbe boite (c’est eux qu’ont inventé Catia ?) – les pays étrangers devraient au moins connaitre le 1er mot, 1er vendeur de Jet avec le Falcon.
    Ride on !

33. #38 | JPh | February 10th, 2012 at 17:48

Bang…

34. #39 | Scott | February 10th, 2012 at 22:25

So long, Netvibes. It was nice knowing you…I’m out.

35. #40 | thyranus | February 11th, 2012 at 14:47

I hope that this union is good for everyone! Use daily netvibes and really is the best service of its kind! congratulations netvibes!

Regards of Miguel from Argentina

36. #41 | Kantabrigian KNTRO | February 11th, 2012 at 15:31

I just hope Dassault Systèmes contract really helpful people for bug fixing, VIP support and localization, because current people at Netvibes leaves much to be desired.

That’s it.

37. #42 | Freddy Mini | February 12th, 2012 at 01:30

@MrGutts and other related questions about “what’s next for individual users?”
    Netvibes Basic (netvibes.com) will remain free and we do not intend to change the terms of our privacy policy. As said above, if you liked Netvibes, you will love the new Netvibes.

Regarding the VIP program: Since Netvibes Basic is totally and is not supported by any advertising, our VIP Program is here to provide a relationship with the Netvibes team. VIP gives you an unlimited, personalized support to ask all the questions you may have about features and help you get the most out of Netvibes. http://vip.netvibes.com/

Hope this helps. And thank you all for using Netvibes.

38. #43 | BebopDesigner | February 12th, 2012 at 17:29

Wicked! Congratulations guys!

39. #44 | Trina | February 13th, 2012 at 14:33

I hope that all goes well with this new direction and potentials for Netvibes. I confess that I do have concerns, especially as an application that I loved has disappeared since Google acquired Slide (and users were originally told that changes weren’t planned, but over a few months the truth came out). I do hope that you’ll keep Netvibes basic and that your statement that you ‘do not intend’ to change the privacy policy terms does not change.

As an individual end-user of a number of apps, if any change is necessary, adding limited advertising to the Netvibes basic app would seem to me to be the least-disruptive option. JMO on that…

I’ve used Netvibes as a primary news resource for several years, and hope to continue doing so for a long time to come.

40. #45 | User. | February 13th, 2012 at 14:46

This is so sad.
    You’ve just sold your self to the devil.
    Good bye.

41. #46 | Bharat | February 13th, 2012 at 15:27

Nice to hear this, all the best for future updates.

42. #47 | Greg Comfort | February 14th, 2012 at 02:16

Hey, congrats you guys. Awesome effort.

I love reading the comments above – people really hate change, don’t they? Realty is we’re all using software now we weren’t using ten years ago, so why do people assume they’ll be using the same stuff in the future?

43. #48 | Mary | February 14th, 2012 at 03:19

With a big company behind Netvibes this should mean more staff and more development budget, I think that it is good news.

44. #49 | Tim France | February 14th, 2012 at 11:08

Been with Netvibes since the beginning and can only go with you on this deal.

Like many before me, all I would ask is that you do not forget the individual users out here. I would say “who helped you iron out early problems, tell others and contributed something alogn the way to your growth” – but that would be cheesey, right?

Good luck with the inevitable ups and downs. May the ups outweight the downs, for the staff, the firm and your loyal users.

45. #50 | neeta | February 15th, 2012 at 02:15

privacy is the main concern for me too,

46. #51 | igestalten | February 15th, 2012 at 10:20

I am a Netvibes user for years – but not quite sure if these are good news…

I think ill start looking around for some alternative dashboard software to be prepared for whatever may happen to the freeusers.

47. #52 | Excel | February 17th, 2012 at 14:36

Never heard about it

48. #53 | jean-christophe | February 17th, 2012 at 15:26

Read a Q&A summary with Freddy Mini in our FAQ: http://faq.netvibes.com/3ds_netvibes#q_a_with_our_users

49. #54 | Aristarkhos | February 18th, 2012 at 11:35

This is a weird link-up… I mean, good for you guys. But I don’t see the bigger picture – as an end user.

50. #55 | Dave Hampton | February 19th, 2012 at 09:39

Congratulations, but please don’t forget your individual users who have stood with you. A drop in quality or service, a shift in focus as seems contemplated from your press release in order to monetize the user base through selling data or pushing adverts, or to satisfy corporate interests with security and control at the forefront, would result in a large and immediate exodus. Really.

51. #56 | etkileyici sözler | February 20th, 2012 at 00:28

Great news, i hope you grow much more :)

52. #57 | Freddy Mini | February 21st, 2012 at 20:06

@Dave Hampton. Couldn’t agree more.
    @Aristarkhos all here http://faq.netvibes.com/3ds_netvibes#q_a_with_our_users