Learn how to use Netvibes, step by step

Today, we stumbled on a great tutorial (this is a mirror, original link) for Netvibes written by a Netviber. It details how to get your page personalized with your own feeds and modules, including modules from the ecosystem.

Thanks to Masey (the author) you will be able to customize your Netvibes page in four steps:

• Create an account
  • Customizing your Netvibes
  • Adding RSS feeds
  • Adding Other Content Modules

Every part is very well explained and features lots of screenshots.

This document is definitely worth the read for new and experienced users. Kudos to Masey for writing this tutorial (this is a mirror, original link) !

Share/Save/Bookmark

29 Responses to “Learn how to use Netvibes, step by step”

1. #1 | David | October 19th, 2006 at 10:34

Great tutorial.

Now please add the option to protect tabs from accidental deletion. Especially since opml export is not available!

2. #2 | Stan | October 19th, 2006 at 11:28

The "tutorial" link doesn’t work

3. #3 | Masey | October 19th, 2006 at 12:33

Looks like my humble server wasn’t able to handle the immense traffic it just received. I’m working on getting this back up and running for everyone ASAP. Apologies for the delay…

4. #4 | Masey | October 19th, 2006 at 17:50

We’re all good now…

Enjoy!

5. #5 | YAChris | October 19th, 2006 at 18:03

Nice! Now maybe a link to Dapper (http://www.dappit.com) to show folks how to adapt web pages easily to fit into NetVibes boxes…?

6. #6 | YAChris | October 19th, 2006 at 18:04

Aarrgghh, the comment parser added the close-paren to the URL for dapper, try http://www.dappit.com to actually get there!

7. #7 | Jordan | October 19th, 2006 at 19:50

Kudos to the great Masey!

8. #8 | alex k | October 19th, 2006 at 23:28

Great and beautfull tutorial! Masey’s RSS Feed added to netvibes, hehehe!

9. #9 | Masey | October 21st, 2006 at 17:16

UPDATE: In response to the feedback I have had so far, I’ve just added a couple of other sections to the tute covering what to do if your favourite sites don’t have an RSS feed, and also an introduction to the awesome "Add2Netvibes" extension for Firefox.

10. #10 | Joao Gazolla | October 23rd, 2006 at 01:24

Hello Web 2.0 users and startpages fans, I am Joao Gazolla, South America Manager of Pageflakes. And I’d like to invite you to visit the 2.0 version of Pageflakes system at http://www.pageflakes.com there are many new features that you will really enjoy such as themes, templates and much more.

11. #11 | Richie | November 1st, 2006 at 18:53

Fantastic, you saved hours off of the learning curve for a newbie.

Thanks

12. #12 | Janet | November 8th, 2006 at 15:49

Masey,

Great tutorial! It was very helpful in setting up Netvibes. However, now everytime I click on one of my links/tags from my home page a tab (I’m using FireFox) your tutorial page pops up. I don’t need to see it again. How do I stop it from poping up on a tab????
    Janet.

13. #13 | Masey | November 9th, 2006 at 05:51

I have no idea Janet?!?! I’ve never heard of that happening before??

My tutorial page shouldn’t be connected to your Netvibes account at all. It is hosted on a server that is completely independent from Netvibes in every way (unless you used the mirror site) and I certainly haven’t built anything into it to make it attach to anything or become a pop-up or whatever.

Thus I’m not sure what to suggest or tell you at this point. Sorry.

14. #14 | TomW | November 15th, 2006 at 11:10

Greetings and thank you for a wonderful tool. I’m just getting my teeth into netvibes and have the folloing question:

one of my 6 tabs is for Podcasts. While listening to a podcast in that tab, I don’t seem to be able to jump to a link on a different tab. Is this something that I’m doing wrong or is netvibes not yet that robust.

15. #15 | Learning by Screencast | November 22nd, 2006 at 08:02

I have made short screencast about using some features of Netvibes.

screencast.edu.pri.ee/200…

I’m thankful for your feedback.

16. #16 | Samy | December 5th, 2006 at 12:18

A very well done screenscast. Thanks a lot !

17. #17 | ARARAT | March 12th, 2007 at 14:33

Tahnks for the Step by Step discription. martin

18. #18 | Rencontre | September 27th, 2007 at 18:53

How do I stop it from poping up on a tab???? Help please !

19. #19 | sohbet | October 30th, 2007 at 16:08

The UWA widgets are supported on the Iphone, but it’s a particular platform and for example there is some issues with iframes and Flash is not supported.

UWA widgets are rendered through an iframe (like in Netvibes) but the ugly scrollbars that you can see on your regular browser will be nicely handled automatically by the Iphone browser.

You can’t edit preferences yet (it’s read only).

20. #20 | sohbet odalari | November 2nd, 2007 at 16:03

You can’t edit preferences yet (it’s read only).

21. #21 | sohbet odasi | November 2nd, 2007 at 18:50

when I read an actual feed item – I want to be able to go back to ‘all tabs’ – so it’s simply adding a link to m.netvibes.com/tabs on all pages – both at the top and the bottom of each page

22. #22 | mirc | December 10th, 2007 at 15:57

excellent news. I have been using netvibes for about a month now, and haven’t looked back. This would make a great addition to my company’s

23. #23 | mırc | December 10th, 2007 at 15:57

24. #24 | evden eve nakliyat | December 10th, 2007 at 15:58

25. #25 | sex | December 10th, 2007 at 15:58

26. #26 | hikaye | December 10th, 2007 at 15:58

27. #27 | sohbet | March 29th, 2008 at 22:52

Heh Anais, hello . . . can you tell us please how to go back to coriander? Ginger is crap

28. #28 | Student Art | April 11th, 2008 at 07:22

Not bad at all, but this topic is rather little of interest. Please do not disappoint your readership.

29. #29 | Youtube | June 29th, 2008 at 22:29

This would make a great addition to my company’s