General

From iGoogle to Netvibes in 3 Easy Steps

Google recently announced that iGoogle will be discontinued on Nov. 1, 2013. A lot of you have been asking about a way to move all your RSS feeds into a personalized Netvibes dashboard. Good news: it’s easy.

Here are 3 easy steps to making Netvibes your new home…

1. Grab. First, check that you are logged into iGoogle and that you have RSS feeds (some iGoogle apps like CNN are widgets, not real RSS feeds). Then download this link.

2. Convert. Open the file and paste code portion into the box below. Click “Convert to OPML”. Click on “Save as file” to save the file to your hard drive.

3. Import. Log into Netvibes (or create a new Basic account). Click Add Content, then Add a Feed. Then click OPML Import and upload the text file you just saved.

Voila! Now all your RSS feeds have a new home at Netvibes. And it’s a really nice home:

1. No ads, no logos. Ever.
  2. 260k+ built-in apps and feeds.
  3. Millions of active users since 2006.
  4. App and Reader Views: Switch between a real-time reader view and dashboard view.
  5. Drag-and-Follow: See a conversation on Facebook or Twitter you like? Just drag the name or hashtag out to create a new app to follow that topic.
  6. Offline Reading: Netvibes Mobile lets you read and sync articles on all your devices, even offline!
  7. Social Analytics: Get a free demo upgrade to Netvibes Premium–the most powerful brand monitoring solution on the Web.

You can also watch this quick video for a quick overview of Netvibes features.

Have a question? Need help? Head to our FAQ for assistance. And one last thing: we’re working on a new tool to import your iGoogle apps too! Stay tuned.

Previous Post Next Post

29 Comments

• Reply SaveiGoogle.org July 12, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Great tool guys. A few more than three steps but who’s counting?

The “save as file” button isn’t showing up in some browsers for the OPML result, but a user can take that into their own hands.

1. Copy the OPML result and paste into a text editor like Notepad (Windows) or TextWrangler (Mac).
    2. Save the file as igoogle.opml.
    3. Go to the import instruction above.

• Reply Lucy February 15, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Thank you for posting more detailed instructions. I didn’t see a save file button, and thought it was just my lack of tech skills getting in the way. I appreciate your help.

• Reply NW July 13, 2012 at 3:21 am

Thanks for the instructions. Worked great.

• Reply Paul July 13, 2012 at 5:48 am

All I want is the ability to see multiple horoscopes. Like you can with Google’s app in igoogle. Also I like eyes that follow my mouse.

• Reply Charles Thompson July 13, 2012 at 9:03 am

This conversion/import process doesn’t seem to work for me. Here are my issues:

“Open the file and paste code portion into the box below” how does a noob know which of the text is the “code portion”? All of it?

When I paste all of my iGoogle backup text into the backup window, the resulting converted file is only 4 lines. None of my RSS feeds get imported to my dashboard. Am I missing something? Thanks.

• Reply rijit July 13, 2012 at 3:45 pm

You need to open the downloaded file in notepad then copy and paste it to the window on this page.

• Reply Art July 14, 2012 at 2:11 am

This conversion from IGoogle didn’t work for me. I expect it is because I have Multiple tabs in Igoogle.

• Reply Thomas Weiss July 14, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I have the same Problem as Charles, only 4 Line result.
    What exactly you mean with “code portion” ?

Thanks

• Reply Mack Morrison July 15, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I can’t get the OPML result to show up in Safari. Any suggestions?

• Reply John July 15, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I’m with Charles…that didn’t work for me either.

• Reply Fernando Asaph July 16, 2012 at 12:18 am

Friends i need a help, i come form Igoogle too, but after convert to OPML here, my result is: ”

Feeds from iGoogle

So nothing… What wrong?

• Reply jean-christophe July 16, 2012 at 10:41 am

Charles > Yes, you need to copy all of it. If you do not see any RSS feeds, you may not actually have real RSS feeds on this account. Many iGoogle widgets (like CNN, etc.) are widgets, not RSS feeds. Therefore, they will not convert. Good news: We are working on a way to convert all your apps, everything, into Netvibes. Stay tuned.

• Reply Joan July 16, 2012 at 5:06 pm

A way to convert my iGoogle apps to Netvibes? That would be wonderful. It would also remove any reason to visit Google.

• Reply Sumanth July 16, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Is there a simple way to import bookmarks from iGoogle?

• Reply Idaho Jill July 24, 2012 at 4:21 pm

This is my big question, too – it’s pretty much the only thing I use iGoogle for – a list of bookmarks…

• Reply Mark July 16, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Hooray! This is great. A couple feature requests: 1) would like to be able to adjust font sizes. 2) would like to be able to add a couple spacers at the far right and left of the screen (or to just specify a fixed-width). I find it uncomfortable to read such a wide body of information (a problem I noticed less with igoogle, since it has a vertical chat bar).

One other thing: it would be nice to have a functioning clock widget that does not have a second hand (I find the second hand distracting).

Thanks for your work on an awesome product! Love that it works better than iGoogle with my Google calendar (hope gmail will also work at this level soon). Looking forward to using Netvibes to organize my information consumption.

• Reply brynolf11 July 17, 2012 at 9:56 am

Importing iGoogle gadgets to Netvibes would be pure awesome! =D

• Reply Sara July 18, 2012 at 11:46 am

Hi, I alsohad the same problems as Charles.So I imported every feed by itself.
    The things I’m missing are a working world clock gadget with multiple options for cities…, a Gmail gadget and a stock portfolio monitor gadget that can work even if I don’t sign in to Netvibes. A “Sign in” only to the specific gadget is the answer for me. At my work place I can see my public page, but i can’t sign in. They don’t allow social networks at my work :-
    Otherwise you are a great option for Google refugees.
    BIG LIKE 🙂

• Reply seo August 2, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Importing iGoogle gadgets to Netvibes would be pure awesome…

• Reply Bill August 2, 2012 at 5:21 pm

The primary font stinks in netvibes. It is too small compared to iGoogle and with no way to change. I do like the functionality of Netvibes but the inability to change the font is a deal breaker for me. I know I can change the font in my web browser, but that changes the overall size of any web pages displayed also, making it necessary to scroll left and right. Not good… BTW, my display size is 1280 X 1024, 60 HZ, not a wide screen monitor.

Bill

• Reply Aldrich August 7, 2012 at 5:08 am

Thank you. Nice improvement!

• Reply Jim Taylor, CRE, CPE, CPMM December 6, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Any progress on loading gagets instead of rss? Thanks

• Reply Sam December 16, 2012 at 11:27 pm

It worked like a charm…Thank you all.

• Reply günaydın mesajları January 7, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Thanks for the instructions. Worked great.We look forward to more articles.

• Reply dale February 8, 2013 at 3:56 pm

“Convert to OPML” button doesn nothing for me.
    Using Firefox 18.0.2 on Ubunut 12.04.

• Reply indir February 12, 2013 at 2:07 pm

hello, importing iGoogle gadgets to Netvibes would be pure awesome…

best regards

• Reply jwdance June 1, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Not sure how to “save as” once i get to step 2. did a right click and nothing showed up to save. can you be a little more detailed in this step? thanks

• Reply jwdance June 1, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Followed #1’s instructions on saving. Went through the next step to import. Now getting an error message “invalid xml”

• Reply jwdance June 1, 2013 at 3:35 pm

what should the extension be after igoogle.opml