Firefox 2 and Netvibes

The new version of the popular browser Firefox includes a fine Web feeds (RSS) reader and allows you to easily subscribe to online aggregators. If you are reading a blog or a site where feeds are available you’ll see an orange icon next to the location field with the URL.

Before

Clicking on this icon opens the built-in reader with some default engines. Unfortunately, Netvibes is not in the default configuration which has been chosen by the Firefox developers (except in France and Poland).

Lots of you have already sent us emails to know if something can be done to fix this. Thanks to the nice people from Mozilla Links we found an easy solution for you. You’ll just have to click on the link below and voilà.

Click here to add Netvibes as a default engine to the built-in Web feed reader

Update: This link works on the original page and may not work if you read this post through a feed reader

After

If you check the box “Always use Netvibes to subscribe to feeds” it means that each time you’ll click on the orange icon you’ll automatically add that feed to your Netvibes account. Nice isn’t it?

Update: It seems that there’s a little bug in Firefox which prevents you from selecting Netvibes in the Preferences window. We found 2 workarounds:

• Click on the orange icon while reading a blog, you’ll be abble to select Netvibes in the dropdown list.
  • or while in the Preferences window select a feed reader (Bloglines for instance) and close the window. Open the window again and then you’ll be abble to select Netvibes

64 Responses to “Firefox 2 and Netvibes”

1. #1 | Jordan | October 26th, 2006 at 00:39

Awesome. Thanks for that.

2. #2 | Mischa | October 26th, 2006 at 00:49

Hell, yeah! That’s exactly what I waited for since I installed FF 2.0

3. #3 | John | October 26th, 2006 at 00:52

There is an issue with the Netvibes addition in the Firfox 2.0 Preferences -> Feeds section
    Netvibes appears as a choice, however it cannot be selected, as can the others such as Bloglines, Yahoo and Google!!
    Firefox 2.0 on Max OSX 10.4.8

I’ll chek out the about:config settings but it does seem odd.

4. #4 | SpookyET | October 26th, 2006 at 00:54

NOTE: "Click here to add Netvibes as a default engine to the built-in Web feed reader" does not work if you view it inside of Netvibes (the RSS feed story). You have to browse to this page and click the link.

5. #5 | Wibbler | October 26th, 2006 at 00:55

Doesn’t work if you click the link from the Netvibes RSS feed, if anyone’s wondering why there’s an error – works fine here though!

6. #6 | Franck Mahon | October 26th, 2006 at 01:19

John> You’re right… it seems to be a bug in Firefox (maybe we will see some fixes in the next days). But if you click on the orange icon while reading a blog, you’ll be abble to select Netvibes in the dropdown list. It’s just not working through the Preferences/Feeds panel.

SpookyET & Wibbler> This is because most of the feed readers (Netvibes included) do disable javascript in order to protect you from malicious code. I have updated the original post to notify everyone… thanks a lot for pointing this out.

7. #7 | Steve Knowles | October 26th, 2006 at 01:21

Just to reinforce the last two comments – the link in the RSS feed (using the NetVibes reader) does not work. It results in the following:

"Not Found

The requested URL /tor.registerContentHandler(‘application/vnd.mozilla.maybe.feed’,’http://www.netvibes.com/subscrib... was not found on this server."

However, using this link works fine. Should be sorted out though, I think :-{

8. #8 | Kevin | October 26th, 2006 at 01:47

We should email Firefox, Netvibes has to be in the default config !

9. #9 | esoterroriffik | October 26th, 2006 at 01:59

Thank you, the best personal start page with the best rss reader on the best browser. I can’t complain.

10. #10 | Matt Cox | October 26th, 2006 at 02:12

Psh! It should be in there by default!

11. #11 | Gean | October 26th, 2006 at 02:27

Really, really, really thanks…

I am serious greatefull for that "fix". I was thinking why Netvibes dont apear in feed readers like those terrible readers like yahoo and GReader do.

THANKS IN ADVANCE !!!

12. #12 | Hector | October 26th, 2006 at 02:57

The Firefox team can be reached with this form:
    hendrix.mozilla.org/
    I’m sending them a feedback to ask for Netvibes in the future release.
    Hopefully if they see that a lot of us are doing this request they will add our favorite rss reader…

13. #13 | thegindrinker | October 26th, 2006 at 05:11

Thank you so much. Have been waiting for this to happen. Most Excellent :)

14. #14 | awflasher.com | October 26th, 2006 at 06:29

Hi… I don’t whether it is ok to post here.

there is one bug that sometimes the "x"(close button for a inwindow-topic-reading) is missing and sometimes it exists… I don’t know why.

15. #15 | akumal | October 26th, 2006 at 06:47

awesome! just what i needed, you guys are the best.

16. #16 | Ajay D'Souza | October 26th, 2006 at 07:00

Thanks for the fix!!! Finally I don’t have to use two step processes for adding the bookmark.

17. #17 | korobx | October 26th, 2006 at 07:55

yeah
    finally !!!!
    thanks

18. #18 | Aivans | October 26th, 2006 at 08:35

cool it works!! thx

19. #19 | MC Hammer | October 26th, 2006 at 11:03

That’s great stuff, thanks

20. #20 | netviber | October 26th, 2006 at 15:22

i got this page as a feed in my netvibes page, but the link doesn’t work from there. I had to come here to make it work. grinds

21. #21 | jasz | October 26th, 2006 at 18:02

This is so cool… I was wondering how to make Netvibes my default RSS reader :)

Thanks Netvibes!

22. #22 | Franck Mahon | October 26th, 2006 at 18:30

John> We found another workaround. Select a feed reader (Bloglines for instance) and close the Preferences window. Open the window again and then you’ll be abble to select Netvibes

23. #23 | John | October 27th, 2006 at 01:06

@Frank Mahon
    Thanks mate. It works now with FF 2.0 Win XP but there is still issues with FF2.0 on Mac OSX 10.4.8
    Cheers

24. #24 | John | October 27th, 2006 at 02:48

Ooop’s I did mean "Franck"
    Apologies :)

25. #25 | John | October 27th, 2006 at 03:36

Now works fine with Mac as well

26. #26 | thepisu | October 27th, 2006 at 10:32

In order to make Netvibes selectable without problems, you can set it in place of Bloglines; in Firefox 2.0 go to "about:config", search "browser.contentHandlers.types.0" and (with right click > Edit) change name (browser.contentHandlers.types.0.title) with Netvibes and url (browser.contentHandlers.types.0.uri) with "http://www.netvibes.com/subscrib...

27. #27 | Philippe | October 27th, 2006 at 22:38

Impossible to access netvibes yesterday and again today.
    Problems again with the server or is it something else?
    How to get information about such events when they happen?
    That’s frustrating.
    Ph
    Bainbridge Island
    USA

28. #28 | atomic1fire | October 28th, 2006 at 05:11

im thinking it might be this bug
    Bugzilla Bug 349225

29. #29 | atomic1fire | October 28th, 2006 at 05:17

after a little config hacking i set browser.feeds.showFirstRunUI to true and now it works fine not sure if that has anything to do with it but it might be the answer

30. #30 | volkan | October 28th, 2006 at 07:17

What if you already set another RSS reader as your default aggregator?

How can I unset that preference? Can anyone help?

31. #31 | Inbal | October 28th, 2006 at 14:26

Volkan,
    I would think you just have to go to Tools>Options>Feeds and choose a different application… Right?…

32. #32 | Althen Morgey | October 28th, 2006 at 15:10

Since i updated to firefox 2.0 i have been having problems with firefox.
    The first of them is that i cannot access to the report bug page (that is why i post my problems here).
    Another thing is that feeds don’t finish updating, they just stay put.
    When i read my feeds, sometimes some of the posts won’t load.
    And a couple things more. I don’t know if this is due to firefox or yours…

33. #33 | volkan | October 28th, 2006 at 16:41

Thanks Inbal. I hadn’t updated to 2.0, so that’s why I was thrown off.

34. #34 | Molly | October 28th, 2006 at 21:02

The link still doesn’t work with my FF2 on Mac OS 10.4.8

35. #35 | Althen Morgey | October 29th, 2006 at 18:23

I cannot access to netvibes. It just says it cannot connect to the server.

I hasn’t been only today, it is a recurring event. What is happening?

36. #36 | François | October 29th, 2006 at 21:47

Althen Morgey > I sent you an e-mail we are going to see together if we can solve your problem

Molly > Can you send us a feedback and tell us more details about your problem? Have you got an error message? In which language is your Firefox?

37. #37 | jcricket | October 30th, 2006 at 20:49

Francois, I’m using FF 2.0 (English-US) and am having similar issues. Mainly that on many different feeds posts will sometimes get mixed up. You click on headline "A", and it loads a post "B" but with headline "A". If you click on the link to the site, you get post "A". If you mouseover headline "A" it shows you a link to post "A", and headline "B" shows a link to post "B", but when clicking headline "A", you still get post "B". If you click "read all" and it loads all the posts, you’ll see the duplicate post (headline "A" with post "B" and headline "B" with post "B") in the right-hand pane.

I’ve seen this happen on thestranger.com/blog, Engadget + Gizmodo to name just a few. It’s intermittent (sometimes those same blogs load fine) and crosses a fair number of blogs. No error messages, though.

38. #38 | Joao Paulo | October 31st, 2006 at 04:48

Hi
    Congratulations for the great work with netvibes. I’ve been having problems accessing netvibes lately. The browser says it cannot connect to the server, just like with Althen Morgey. It also has been a recurring event, using both FF2 and IE6. Can anyone help me?

39. #39 | Dave | October 31st, 2006 at 05:35

I’ve been having horrible Netvibes connection problems for the last 10 days or so. Seems very sporadic- I either get a connection or I don’t. Also have seen my Netvibes connection drop mid-session. Have seen the issue with Firefox 2.0, IE6 and IE7.

40. #40 | ajwms | October 31st, 2006 at 17:24

I’ve been poking around with my Netvibes for a few days and imported my OPML file from Blogbridge. But, I want to delete a feed that is no longer being updated. I see that full management of the My Feeds are is a feature that has been implemented but I cannot find out how. Any hints for a newbie?

41. #41 | CHris Ovenden | October 31st, 2006 at 17:41

It’s great to be able to do this, but is there any way to make FF use the existing netvibes tab (always open on my machine!) rather than open the feed with a new tab?

42. #42 | Humuhumu | October 31st, 2006 at 19:24

I’ve also been having a terrible time connecting to Netvibes for the past week or so. For many days, I couldn’t even get the Feedback page to come up; once it finally did, it took about 15 tries before my message would send. I never got a response to my report of trouble, so maybe it never went through, after all.

It looks like I’m hardly alone — I see others here having the same problem, and a friend of mine who uses Netvibes reports they also haven’t been able to use it in days & days. Since this isn’t an isolated problem, and the Feedback form doesn’t appear to be working for those of us it’s affecting, a blog post giving some information about what’s going on would be very helpful.

43. #43 | Phoenix | November 1st, 2006 at 10:53

I have problems with Netvibes when I load it in Firefox 2. My browser crashed atleast 5 times.

44. #44 | François | November 1st, 2006 at 11:04

Dave, Humuhumu, Van and Phoenix, we just finish to make a lot of improvements for this problem. Is it working for you now?

Before testing can you try to clear your cache and then use this url: http://www.netvibes.com/?reset=1

45. #45 | Roman | November 1st, 2006 at 12:07

46. #46 | Dave | November 1st, 2006 at 14:59

François, the latest improvements make no difference to me. About 40% of the time, Netvibes will not load at all. If I can get it to load, it often "blocks" Firefox 2.0 from accessing other sites. If I have Netvibes open in a Firefox tab, and other sites open in other tabs, often the other tabs will not load until I close the tab containing Netvibes. As soon as I do that, everything else becomes "unblocked" and loads right away. I sure hope you can get this figured out, because I LOVE Netvibes. In its present form, however, it is unusable to me.

47. #47 | Dave | November 1st, 2006 at 15:07

I should amend my earlier post. Netvibes DOES appear to load a little more reliably after your fix, but the "blocking" problem still exists. Often if I click a link on my Netvibes page to open something in a new Firefox tab, the new tab will not load until I close the Netvibes tab.

48. #48 | Dave | November 1st, 2006 at 15:25

I may have spoken too soon. I think the fix IS working. I didn’t hit enough sites earlier to get a good test, but now that I’ve hit more sites, it looks as though Netvibes is loading reliably (although still slower than I’d like), and I can no longer recreate the "blocking" problem. I just started my day, so I will give it a good workout today and report back later in the afternoon.

49. #49 | François | November 1st, 2006 at 17:09

That’s a good news Dave, if you have any problems or if you can reproduce your problem again, please send us a feedback trought the feedbacks form.

50. #50 | Dave | November 1st, 2006 at 17:32

Unfortunately, I can still reproduce the "blocking" problem. I will write up details and send you some feedback.

51. #51 | eConsultant | November 7th, 2006 at 19:46

When I have Netvibes open in a tab and in another tab I add the RSS feed, Firefox ends up opening another tab and asking for confirmation … any way to route it to the opened netvibes tab ???

52. #52 | David Monaghan | November 23rd, 2006 at 12:24

I just started having a problem with this about 20 minutes ago. Earlier this feature was working very well for me and I’ve used it to subscribe to many feeds. Now when I tried to use it on a couple of different feeds – kevindevin.com/?feed=rss2… and feeds.feedburner.com/typi… – I get asked if I’m a registered user. After entering my email/pass (I was already logged in before I should make it clear) I get the same thing repeatedly and can’t subscribe using this method… Any help would be greatly appreciated, this solution really made subscribing to feeds a lot easier for me when it was working.

53. #53 | AlfaFox.info | July 13th, 2007 at 01:45

I installed Firefox 2.0.0.4 today and it did not show Netvibes after clicking at a RSS subscribe button. Luckily I found this site and could register Netvibes into my Firefox. Now it works. But I wonder why the Firefox folks have still not integrated Netvibes in their RSS reader list.

54. #54 | vipoyun | September 12th, 2007 at 14:42

55. #55 | sohbet | October 30th, 2007 at 16:08

The UWA widgets are supported on the Iphone, but it’s a particular platform and for example there is some issues with iframes and Flash is not supported.

UWA widgets are rendered through an iframe (like in Netvibes) but the ugly scrollbars that you can see on your regular browser will be nicely handled automatically by the Iphone browser.

You can’t edit preferences yet (it’s read only).

56. #56 | stevnewb | November 1st, 2007 at 18:18

Anti Firefox Virus

I need some feedback from other Firefox users on the Comcast access to internet.

I’ve picked up some kind of disabling virus which prevent Firefox from reaching ANY servers, and I don’t know how to get rid of it.

HELLLLLLP!

stevnewb

57. #57 | sohbet odalari | November 2nd, 2007 at 16:03

You can’t edit preferences yet (it’s read only).

58. #58 | sohbet odasi | November 2nd, 2007 at 18:49

when I read an actual feed item – I want to be able to go back to ‘all tabs’ – so it’s simply adding a link to m.netvibes.com/tabs on all pages – both at the top and the bottom of each page

59. #59 | mirc | December 10th, 2007 at 15:57

excellent news. I have been using netvibes for about a month now, and haven’t looked back. This would make a great addition to my company’s

60. #60 | mırc | December 10th, 2007 at 15:57