Facebook Meet Netvibes: Netvibes Introduces the Facebook Widget

Well you’ve all been asking for it, and it’s finally here.

The new Netvibes Facebook Widget will allow users to view their Facebook notifications and friends. You can now access your Facebook info on Netvibes, and keep up to date on what your friends are doing!

Add this widget to Netvibes

What does it do?

Now, moving on, we’ll show you how a few things work with the widget.

The widget provides direct links to your profile, friends, and networks. It lets you view the number of messages, pokes, friend requests, shares, group invites, and event invites that you have. It even shows your friend’s birthdays and your own status, with a link to change it. And you can easily search through all of your friends — just start typing a name in the search box.

There are two possible friend views: Detailed view (showing friends’ name, status, and mini photo) or Photo view (showing larger photos of friends). Click on the Link on the right hand corner above your friends to switch views.

Options

You can change the widget settings in the “edit” section, where you can select the number of friends to display for each view, and the method of displaying them (by last update, alphabetically, etc.).

Why can’t I view my News Feed?

Facebook does not currently allow outsider providers to access the News Feed. In other words, Facebook won’t let us display your News Feed from the front page in our widget (or change your status for that matter.) If you would like to see the News Feed in your Netvibes Widget, please join our Facebook group on the issue or tell Facebook!

Tags: ,

75 Responses to “Facebook Meet Netvibes: Netvibes Introduces the Facebook Widget”

1. #1 | Sean | August 2nd, 2007 at 15:22

This works amazingly well. Good job, folks.

2. #2 | Russell Heimlich | August 2nd, 2007 at 16:00

Sweet! I love the idea of this. Keep up the great work guys.

3. #3 | Daniel | August 2nd, 2007 at 16:10

Thanks a lot :D

Digg it here:
    digg.com/tech_news/Facebo…

4. #4 | Azti | August 2nd, 2007 at 16:35

I was looking forward to gettin this widget, Many thanks!

Netvibers, please push Mark Z. from FB to allow us accessing to our News Feed!

5. #5 | sparx | August 2nd, 2007 at 16:40

I’ve added the widget, but it disappears from the page if i refresh/leave netvibes.

6. #6 | Gustav | August 2nd, 2007 at 17:22

Great design! Everything you need in much less space. That’s one less tab open in my browser.

7. #7 | Chris | August 2nd, 2007 at 17:38

Just when I thought the site could not get any better….You go and do this.

Works fine on my page….I love u guys!

8. #8 | sparx | August 2nd, 2007 at 17:45

It showed up again and seems to be working fine now. Nice.

9. #9 | Tariq KRIM | August 2nd, 2007 at 18:07

If you see any improvements to do, let’s us know, the idea is to make users manage their social life as smoothly as possible

best,

10. #10 | Chris | August 2nd, 2007 at 18:11

One widget to rule them all…

11. #11 | Jean-Marie Le Ray | August 2nd, 2007 at 18:18

J’y crois pas ! Mes trois derniers billets tombent vraiment à pic :)
    Auguroni
    Jean-Marie

12. #12 | Daniel | August 2nd, 2007 at 18:20

The digg widget looks kinda ugly now…

13. #13 | Noah Hendrix | August 2nd, 2007 at 22:01

Hey you could include this in the widget… It is the feeds to your notifications, friend’s statuses, and friend’s posted items.

hs.facebook.com/help.php?…

14. #14 | JOJOFACE | August 3rd, 2007 at 00:43

This is FANTASTIC. Well, well done. :)

15. #15 | Dung Nguyen | August 3rd, 2007 at 02:07

I know Netvibes always does good job :)
    nXqd

16. #16 | Ann Marie | August 3rd, 2007 at 03:57

This is very exciting! Good job!

17. #17 | Ross | August 3rd, 2007 at 06:11

THANKS! This is what i have been waiting for. You guys are the best.

18. #18 | Hicham | August 3rd, 2007 at 06:56

Great Tarik and all your team!
    2 two days ago, I was speaking with a friend that I open Netvibes for all my applications but I should open a Firefox tab to follow my Facebook account.

Now it’s possible with netvibes, fantastic !!!
    :-)))

19. #19 | Inbal | August 3rd, 2007 at 08:35

The feature that I see missing – and I nagged Facebook about this too – is updates about my groups as well as my friends. If you could list groups by last update including detailed view, that would be more than great.

20. #20 | Mladen Mihajlovic | August 3rd, 2007 at 09:36

Facebook is blocked by my work proxy so I cannot access the login page. Any way to get around this? Netvibes usually does everything through AJAX calls, so I’m suprised that in this case I have to access facebook directly?

21. #21 | Mark | August 3rd, 2007 at 10:24

This is nice but I’d really like to see one addition: The title bar should get a total ‘unread’ number like RSS feeds do for new messages, notifications, events etc. That way I could just glance to see if there was anything new happening on Facebook :)

22. #22 | Chris | August 3rd, 2007 at 12:04

Excellent work. Would be good to be able to add mini-feed as a default view

23. #23 | Owen | August 3rd, 2007 at 15:03

*chuckle* I bet FaceBook can’t be too happy, seeing as their initiatives are mostly inward facing. Let’s see how they react …

24. #24 | peter | August 3rd, 2007 at 17:30

it doesn’t work. i can not login. anyone has the same problem ?

25. #25 | kzhkuapage | August 3rd, 2007 at 18:09

Hello! Good Site! Thanks you! qtwscawbtnme

26. #26 | Anon | August 3rd, 2007 at 19:08

What would be the URL for this module to make it a UWA module (i.e. for iGoogle)?

Basically – how would one do that?

27. #27 | Tomek | August 4th, 2007 at 12:05

This is brilliant idea thanks!

28. #28 | peter | August 4th, 2007 at 12:13

An error may have occurred as part of the login process. You can close this window and try returning to the application, though it may ask you to login again. This is likely due to a bug in the application.

29. #29 | stef | August 5th, 2007 at 17:22

this is great!!
    I cannot see what’s missing to this… but I’m pretty new to facebook. Overall this seems more comprehensive than the myspace plugin (I mostly use myspace to send messages, not to see my comments which are usually just spam).

this facebook one let’s you see messages which is great.

I think seeing myspace messages is more urgent than seeing the recent events thing in the facebook plugin.

great work, keep it up.

30. #30 | prieteni virtuali | August 5th, 2007 at 23:54

Well, I must tell you I’m so pleased with this widget. Great work, thanks!!

31. #31 | Mladen | August 7th, 2007 at 06:34

Hi, my last comment seems to have disappeared from here so I’ll just post it again…

I cannot log into the Facebook widget as my company’s proxy blocks the facebook.com domain. Your other widgets usually work the ajax through a netvibes proxy so I’m surprised that this one doesn’t work like that too? Any way around this?

Also your new Digg widget doesn’t look very nice and doesn’t seem to work well either – the digg’s I’m getting are from days ago…

32. #32 | video izle | August 7th, 2007 at 12:46

Great work, thanks!!
    very good

33. #33 | john tos | August 7th, 2007 at 14:39

Excellent work, I like your site very much

34. #34 | Asaf | August 8th, 2007 at 11:47

I join up with a guy that wrote the following above:

35. #35 | garry | August 11th, 2007 at 23:12

Thanks gr8.
    good work but someone plz delete the spam from the comments :)

36. #36 | Christophe | August 13th, 2007 at 15:47

Been hooked on Facebook since a couple months.
    Found some classmates from in elementary school …

Nice work by the way

37. #37 | Rhys Wynne | August 14th, 2007 at 12:50

Just imported my feeds over from Bloglines after hearing about the Welsh localization of NetVibes – looks good so far.

One thing about the Facebook app: I’d like the option of displaying ‘0’ Friends details/pictures.

38. #38 | Chris | August 22nd, 2007 at 15:26

Can someone help me?

By using RSS-Feeds how can i save an article? The fact is, that i always search several articles but i wont check all my feeds! I need something like a favorite-list… Any idea?

39. #39 | Stoffel | August 27th, 2007 at 22:10

Keep it up, love the work.

40. #40 | François | August 31st, 2007 at 14:50

Adam Stead > Can you send us a feedback on http://www.netvibes.com/static.p...

If you go on facebook do you see the right date?

41. #41 | Jeux video | September 22nd, 2007 at 11:37

i can help you about that topic chris

42. #42 | Gala | September 23rd, 2007 at 00:38

but not limited

47. #47 | costumerental | October 3rd, 2007 at 05:53

but not limited

48. #48 | costumerental | October 3rd, 2007 at 05:53

but not limited

49. #49 | kily2007 | October 8th, 2007 at 11:45

as some one mentioned, facebook did give us a wonderful place to increase some of our articlces. however, most people don’t follow the rule to add their materials which made the auther consider they may be spammers. to aviod this kind of misunderstanding, you can do strictly by following the rule. as some suggested on http://www.interracialsingleonli... in which ,there may be more than you want to know. and some of the users there submitted some useful suggestions.

50. #50 | cellringtones | October 10th, 2007 at 10:11

but not limited to

51. #51 | cellringtones | October 10th, 2007 at 10:11

but not limited to

52. #52 | voiceringtones | October 11th, 2007 at 11:41

but not limited

53. #53 | voiceringtones | October 11th, 2007 at 11:41

but not limited

54. #54 | dreribetine | October 19th, 2007 at 12:05

A man is trying a very unusual way to propose to his girlfriend. He wants people to forward an email to as many people as possible and he hopes that it will eventually get to his girlfriend. Details here: http://www.proposal-to-mary.com

Here is what he wants people to send by email:

You could help me a lot to spread my proposal to Mary – it is important that it is distributed as widely as possible so that it eventually reaches Mary. If you would like to support my proposal to Mary, please send the following text by email to a lot of people :-)

————- SNIP (email text end) —————

WHEN YOU RECEIVE THIS, PLEASE HELP TO DISTRIBUTE IT TO OTHER PEOPLE!

For a long time I have tried to find a special way to propose marriage to my girlfriend Mary, whom I know for five years now. I wanted it very special, romantic and memorable, something our grandchildren would still remember.

And here is my idea: I will send out the proposal to Mary to 50 complete strangers, people I don’t know – hoping, that they will forward my proposal to as many people as possible, which in turn forward it etc. And some day, I hope, it will reach Mary, after it has travelled a very long way. I know, it will take a long time and I am quite nervous…

From the poem MY Mary will know immediately that the proposal is for her.

I have created a homepage ( http://www.proposal-to-mary.com ) where you can find the current status of my quest. You can use the homepage to check if the proposal has already reached Mary (in that case it is not necessary anymore to forward the mail).

Once the proposal has reached Mary, I will put a note on these pages. Also I will publish there how many people have read the proposal so that everybody can see how far it has spread and that it is getting closer to Mary.

And of course you will find there what I am waiting for most: Mary’s answer! I can’t tell you, how nervous I am… Will she accept my proposal? Will she like the unusual way how she got it, through the hands of thousands of messengers all over the world?

Please cross your fingers for me! And please – help me by sending the mail to as many people as possible, to help it spread, so that it eventually reaches Mary.

And here is my proposal:

Mary, please forgive me, as you know English is not my native language. And I am not a poet. But I mean it from my heart.

My angel,

Five years ago, I will always remember the day When fate made us meet, blissful Alaskan moments in May Earth spun around us and a journey began Love, warmth, happiness, enough the years to span.

The longer it lasts the more grows our bond And with 80 still – of you I will be fond Whatever happens, I will stay at your side Through good and bad, together let us stride

No second with you was ever wasted
    You are the sweetest I have ever tasted
    We have spent so many years – why not a life?
    Mary, will you marry me – and become my wife?

Mary, if you have received that and have recognized me, then give me a sign so that I can continue with the romantic part of my proposal…

————- SNIP (email text end) —————

55. #55 | cheapviagra | October 20th, 2007 at 05:32

but not limited to

56. #56 | cheapviagra | October 20th, 2007 at 05:32

but not limited to

57. #57 | copper | October 27th, 2007 at 10:08

A very interesting site, I think. The Idea of Technology was new for me but worth to be read and thought about it.

58. #58 | sohbet | October 30th, 2007 at 15:57

The UWA widgets are supported on the Iphone, but it’s a particular platform and for example there is some issues with iframes and Flash is not supported.

UWA widgets are rendered through an iframe (like in Netvibes) but the ugly scrollbars that you can see on your regular browser will be nicely handled automatically by the Iphone browser.

You can’t edit preferences yet (it’s read only).

59. #59 | Video izle | November 1st, 2007 at 01:16

You can’t edit preferences yet (it’s read only).

60. #60 | sohbet odalari | November 2nd, 2007 at 15:50

You can’t edit preferences yet (it’s read only).

61. #61 | sohbet odasi | November 2nd, 2007 at 18:38

when I read an actual feed item – I want to be able to go back to ‘all tabs’ – so it’s simply adding a link to m.netvibes.com/tabs on all pages – both at the top and the bottom of each page

62. #62 | Pet Accessories | November 26th, 2007 at 14:11

What about this code, I do not understand :)

63. #63 | Atletizm Portalı | November 29th, 2007 at 13:38

it is not difficult

64. #64 | bilgi yarışması | December 4th, 2007 at 15:42

What about this code, I do not understand

65. #65 | yarışma | December 4th, 2007 at 15:43

I do not understand

66. #66 | seo yarışması | December 8th, 2007 at 00:49

it is not difficult

67. #67 | seo yarışması | December 8th, 2007 at 00:50

What about this code, I do not understand

68. #68 | mirc | December 10th, 2007 at 13:26

69. #69 | mırc | December 10th, 2007 at 13:26

70. #70 | evden eve nakliyat | December 10th, 2007 at 13:29

This looks really sweet — I can’t wait to set up a Netvibes universe.

71. #71 | hikaye | December 10th, 2007 at 13:30

This looks really sweet — I can’t wait to set up a Netvibes universe.

72. #72 | sex | December 10th, 2007 at 13:31

This looks really sweet — I can’t wait to set up a Netvibes universe.

73. #73 | Lizunoff | December 15th, 2007 at 22:50

This looks really sweet — I can’t wait to set up a Netvibes universe.

74. #74 | Крутые тачки | December 15th, 2007 at 22:51

This looks really sweet — I can’t wait to set up a Netvibes universe.

75. #75 | Minimal | December 18th, 2007 at 19:56

This looks really sweet — I can’t wait to set up a Netvibes universe.