Netvibes Introduces New Drag-and-Follow Facebook, MySpace and Twitter Widget

With the rapid growth of real-time content and activity feeds from sources like Facebook and Twitter, many people are struggling to keep track of multiple friends and interests that change day-to-day. Today, we launched a novel solution and industry first: drag-and-follow widgets. New Facebook, MySpace and Twitter widgets now enable users to instantly create new widgets to follow new interests simply by dragging and dropping any feed item to their personalized page.

Netvibes Drag'n'Follow

The first widgets to showcase this new technology include new drag-and-follow Facebook, MySpace and Twitter widgets. You can instantly create separate new widgets to follow any interesting new conversation, topic or friend they find in your activity feeds, simply by dragging and dropping items onto their Netvibes personalized page. For example, if you find an interesting topic from their Twitter feed, you can click and drag that item to spawn a new Twitter widget to follow just that specific topic.

Here’s how it works:

It should be now easier to extract interesting conversation from your social streams with this functionality. Let us know what you think by leaving a comment. In case you encounter a problem, simply tell us on the feedback page. We’ll do our best to help you.

Tags: , , , ,

60 Responses to “Netvibes Introduces New Drag-and-Follow Facebook, MySpace and Twitter Widget”

1. #1 | Sarah | July 16th, 2009 at 16:57

I don’t like the Facebook Widget the way it is now; the former version was much better; it showed the pictures of all my friends and I could read immediately (by hovering over a picture with the mouse), what they had written. The pictures were bigger; now they are so small that I can not even see who it is. And when the mouse hoveres over it, It says things like ‘write womething on the wall’. Could you please do something about this.

2. #2 | Anonnymoose | July 16th, 2009 at 17:02

Agreed, I like the old version MUCH better.

3. #3 | jetLag | July 16th, 2009 at 17:17

I LOVE the new Facebook SOOOOOO much better. it has the real time news feed and I can really keep up with my friend. Matter of fact, Guys, I know have a full page with all my FB friend simply by dragging and dropping!!

Anyway, this drag and follow thing is a killer feature. CONGRATS!

4. #4 | alvalle | July 16th, 2009 at 17:27

this.rocks.hard

5. #5 | matt | July 16th, 2009 at 17:30

It’s ok just get rid of the 4-way arrows that are on EVERY post, makes it too hard to read anything.

6. #6 | Ryan | July 16th, 2009 at 17:35

What is killing this for me is that i can’t see anywhere to click to open a Facebook tab in the widget. All i used the old one for was to see notifications (new messages/events/adds etc.) and as a link to Facebook. None of the words in the title are clickable which turns it into more of a waste of space for me. I can just add the Links module and get the same functionality. I recognize the benefits of the new one, but my primary needs aren’t met. If it is possible for both to live that would be cool.

7. #7 | Netvibes | July 16th, 2009 at 17:49

#5: It was a layout bug. Try to reload and/or clear your cache.

#6: It’s fixed. The title can now be clicked again.

8. #8 | marco | July 16th, 2009 at 18:04

really awesome \o/

9. #9 | Sin Trenton | July 16th, 2009 at 18:10

Usually you improve something that is already good, but this was.. Sorry, chaps, but fail.

Too small, three of my friends only show up as "undefined" and what is considered latest update is from a friend that last updated June 23rd??
    PLUS if I reload it, it doesn’t remember my previous choice, but I have to ACTIVELY choose Friends instead of Timeline EVERY time Netvibes is updated?!? (BIG Fail).

The old one I could quickly see if I had any messages, event invitations and so on. A quick roll-over and I could get the status of my friends.

This is a widget trying to be a replacement for actually going to Facebook rather than giving you a quick overview. Unfortunately in this it fails on both accounts, both as a Netvibes widget for browsing information and as an attempt to replace actually going to the Facebook site.
    Thankfully I can compensate for this by moving this widget to one of the back tabs (G2HNRU: Good To Have – Not Really Using) and pull forward the Facebook widget on iGoogle.

10. #10 | Rex Roman | July 16th, 2009 at 18:30

i DONT LIKE the new Facebook widget…. too messy…

11. #11 | Steve Wilde | July 16th, 2009 at 18:33

Like the concept of the twitter creation widget but it’s a bit unruly with the instructions as well as the 4-way arrow, especially if there are several in one tweet – Is this something that will be slimmed down to just the arrow [possibly a smaller one?] once folk get used to the idea?

12. #12 | Chris | July 16th, 2009 at 18:37

This is a good direction, but the implementation needs a little more time in the oven.

In particular:
    – Items from the TED Talks Facebook page show up with a blank user picture and Anonymous as the name. It’s possible TED restricts their use by the API, but there may also be a problem with Facebook pages (not profiles) in general.
    – When you hover over blank user pictures for those who don’t share them with the API it says "undefined." Should be hidden from users.
    – You’ve already addressed clickable title. That was, and until I reload, still is annoying. Thanks for fixing it.
    – When I click the textbox with my status it briefly selects and then unselects. This may be a Google Chrome problem. I’ve seen it elsewhere.
    – Pre-populating the status in a textbox feels unnatural.
    – Still don’t catch a number of notifications. I imagine this is an API limitation, but it makes the widget significantly less useful.

Otherwise, great work.

13. #13 | fac51 | July 16th, 2009 at 19:05

Goddamit it adds loads of shite in my nice black page, looks fugly as hell plus it’s hard unintuitive. Just like the weather widget upgrade – load of tosh.

14. #14 | MightyM | July 16th, 2009 at 19:41

Netvibes you rock.

Your new facebook widget is just PERFECT! I don’t have to go back and forth on FB no more and I LOVE the drag and follow feature.

Keep up the fantastic work. thanks

15. #15 | Happycamper | July 16th, 2009 at 19:44

Your new facebook widget: A+
    That’s all I have to say. love it. Period.

16. #16 | Ant | July 16th, 2009 at 19:44

the new facebook widget looks terrible on a dark background. I may as well remove it now, just like the weather widget update. gj

17. #17 | Muja | July 16th, 2009 at 19:50

Please give us the old one back now as a separate widget so those of us that don’t want the new one don’t have to have it.

18. #18 | Webbster | July 16th, 2009 at 20:12

The new Facebook widget sucks donkey balls.
    The old one was better.

Can’t you add an option to add and use the previous version ?

19. #19 | David | July 16th, 2009 at 20:14

It really looks like a great idea. I think that netvives is being really innovative with their new product!

I wanted to let you know about our new product from EmptySpaceads.com. We are now helping bloggers make money from their blogs without looking like a totally sold out page. Our way of advertising is simple, and unobtrusive. The ads populate only on the side margins of the page where there currently is just blank white space. As the users mouse scrolls over the area an ad appears, but once the mouse is gone so is the ad. This way it doesn’t distract the reader from your messge, yet it makes you money everytime someone reads your post. Learn more about how to Make Money Blogging! -David, CEO EmptySpaceAds.com

20. #20 | Benjamin | July 16th, 2009 at 20:32

Could you please update the twitter widget to make it more compact like the facebook widget? Currently it has way too much empty space (I have to use stylish on Firefox to clean it up)

21. #21 | Andrew | July 16th, 2009 at 23:30

PLEASE bring back the old Facebook widget. It was so clean and simple and not messed up by the ridiculous Facebook news feed. At least bring in a filter for friends status updates only.

22. #22 | Laurie | July 16th, 2009 at 23:44

Now usually, I’m not one to complain when people redesign things. People hate change, and people usually get over things.
    However, with the new Facebook widget making the "small picture" completely useless, I’m not sure I can keep it on my page any more. How am I supposed to see my friends statuses without using the feed view which takes up half the screen with one item?

But I guess you guys won’t change it back. So what we need now is someone (maybe I’ll look into it) to make a conventional "Facebook Status" widget that just shows thumbnails and status on hover, like the old one. That’s all I used it for.

23. #23 | Dizi izle | July 17th, 2009 at 00:34

I’m having problem with Firefox. My firefox crashes when i try to drag the widget. I’m using firefox 3.0.11

24. #24 | Travis | July 17th, 2009 at 00:52

Please offer old widget and put this one into a beta testing. Doesn’t work with firefox + ubuntu. Got it to work in windows, but buggy (extra content, loads to some point in the past requiring page refresh to get current, bad icon layout (IMO), poor implementation of buttons, etc.). I just want status updates like the old widget.
    If I want the whole news feed I will go to facebook. The idea of having a minimal feed on my homepage is just that, to have a minimal feed not every bit of content on the source page.

25. #25 | Mark | July 17th, 2009 at 02:59

Another one who would prefer the old widget. But really only for one thing. The clear for status on the old widget would clear status without posting an update to my timeline.

Maybe I’m missing an option somewhere – I’m going to keep looking, but that alone has made this a much less useful widget than the previous one.

26. #26 | Brian | July 17th, 2009 at 03:06

I don’t like the new Facebook widget either. Why would I want to see all the spam in my news feed? Do I really care that one of my friends gave out "Carebear Rainbow Hugs" to all of her friends, and now it’s taking up a quarter of my page with a fruity image of a bear?

Give me the old one back so I can see my friends status at a glance! The friends display on this one is pointless.

27. #27 | Deine Mutter Witze | July 17th, 2009 at 08:55

My Firefox is also crashing. I am using version 3.5.

28. #28 | Brustwarzenpiercings | July 17th, 2009 at 10:24

I find the new facebook very nice

29. #29 | Autoversicherung | July 17th, 2009 at 10:54

Agreed, I like the old version MUCH better.

30. #30 | apa | July 17th, 2009 at 11:00

I just got rid of the stupid questionnaire spam on my FB home page with FB Purity greasemonkey script but now it floods me through the new widget. Bring back the old version, I just want to see a few status updates, not application spam!

31. #31 | Hausmeisterservice München | July 17th, 2009 at 13:38

32. #32 | badghir | July 17th, 2009 at 14:40

drag&drop in the bookmarks widget would be fine !!!!!!!

33. #33 | Kris | July 17th, 2009 at 23:04

I do NOT like the Facebook widget. Please bring the old one back. (Or at least give us a choice!)

Thanks,

34. #34 | Hobie | July 17th, 2009 at 23:24

I’m iffy on the new Facebook widget, where the only options are tiny pictures with no statuses, or a full Feed view. One dealbreaker though:

If I have someone’s feed posts hidden on my FB page, they need to be hidden in the widget as well (or have the option to hide them). Too much clutter!

35. #35 | Pepa | July 19th, 2009 at 15:43

Can we have the old widget too for those that want it? I don’t need what the new widget offers, but the old one was REALLY useful. Please provide a way to keep using the old widget!

36. #36 | Pepa | July 19th, 2009 at 16:14

Another comment: how is the information different from my Facebook home page? It just offers less (limit=20 is way too few, I can’t keep up to date this way)!

37. #37 | Kancelaria Toruń | July 19th, 2009 at 23:34

Agreed, I like the old version MUCH better – same here.

38. #38 | JohnYY | July 20th, 2009 at 07:34

I LOVE the new Facebook Widget SOOOOO much better, Great job Netvibes. You rock!

39. #39 | SF4EVER | July 20th, 2009 at 07:36

Guys, you finally implemented Facebook Connect. This new FB widget is, well… what he should have been in the first place. Netvibes level. Love it now.

40. #40 | apa | July 20th, 2009 at 08:39

The widget title is no longer a link to FB home page. Please fix!

41. #41 | Jeff | July 20th, 2009 at 13:38

"loading user informations" should read "loading user information".

42. #42 | jsears | July 20th, 2009 at 15:08

Please offer the old version of the widget, or at least allow me to turn off everything but status updates in Facebook.

43. #43 | nicolas | July 20th, 2009 at 15:40

44. #44 | Andy | July 20th, 2009 at 17:07

This new version looks really bad with the darkvibes theme that I use, is there a way to get the old facebook widget back?

45. #45 | Blume2000 Gutschein | July 20th, 2009 at 19:26

Please revert it to the old plugins version.

46. #46 | Bingoscotland | July 20th, 2009 at 21:57

I really liked the old Facebook widget, however the new one is really good but the news feed is annoying and liked it when i could see the bigger pictures of my friends instead of the smaller ones the new widget shows. Would like the option of choosing between the two or being able to remove the newsfeed from the new one.

47. #47 | aerosquid | July 21st, 2009 at 15:32

I hate to be force "upgraded". Since i use a black theme the large white boxes on the new widget look terrible. I don’t care about the new functionality, i don’t want to drag and drop my friends into separate widgets… Give us the choice of the old one or the new one, don’t be all North Korea about it and force it on us.

48. #48 | Rex Roman | July 21st, 2009 at 19:58

gave up on the new Facebook widget and removed [Delete Forever] it from my tab… its just too messy for my theme… logging in to Facebook.com is much more easy on the eyes compared to the new [bleh] facebook widget

peace!

49. #49 | Handwerker Witze | July 22nd, 2009 at 14:41

the new one is a little bit overloaded.

50. #50 | Brian Smith | July 22nd, 2009 at 20:51

Sorry netvibes but the new facebook widget is total crap! It was perfect before. All I want to see is my friends status updates, and not all this extra garbage. PLEASE drop this news feed crap and make it work like it used to. Change it back or allow the ability to use the old one.

Thanks.

51. #51 | power4home | July 23rd, 2009 at 09:03

Wow, these new widgets rocks!

52. #52 | Troy | July 23rd, 2009 at 16:49

After a week of hoping it would improve or give more options, decided to remove this widget. If I want the whole facebook webpage, I will go to Facebook. Just wanted the simple status feed the old widget had.

53. #53 | Antwan | July 24th, 2009 at 13:28

I agree, new FB widget is much better.

Actually, comments on pictures/statuses/links are the most appreciated content. To allow to see them and to add ones is a great improvement.

54. #54 | Webbster | July 24th, 2009 at 20:41

I found a widget which works great and is better than this crappy updated Facebook version.

Do a widget search for Facebook IPhone.

It’s description says that it was designed for Safari and might not work well in other browsers, but it does (ok on Firefox and Chrome but surprise, surprise not IE 7/8. But then again who uses that anymore)

VERY recommended if you hate the "improved" Facebook widget.

55. #55 | seo | July 24th, 2009 at 20:49

Facebook widget is not crappy

56. #56 | Dev | July 28th, 2009 at 16:09

Hey guys I LOVE it
    it looks beautiful

57. #57 | Doug | July 29th, 2009 at 12:55

HI HOW DO I DOWNLOAD THE NETVIBES AND WHERE DO I GO FOR THE SITE .CAN SUM ONE HELP ME PLEASE

58. #58 | Brian Smith | July 30th, 2009 at 20:54

soooo. is anyone from netvibes going to give us people who hate the new facebook widget an answer as to if we can use the old widget, or is there any chance you going to be making updates so we can go back to just status view?

59. #59 | jsears | July 31st, 2009 at 16:09

Please provide access to the old Facebook widget. Your new version may be fine for many users, but there are lots of us who find it unusable.

60. #60 | jsears | July 31st, 2009 at 16:13

Nicolas, I just saw your response "@jsears: you can close the timeline panel, by clicking on the "Timeline" with the small arrow." That’s not what I am referring to. In the old widget I could get only status updates that my friends posted. In the new widget I get status updates, but they are overwhelmed by the other facebook updates generated when my friends play facebook games, take facebook tests, update their pictures and other actions that simply generate "noise" that I need to sift through. Closing the Timeline doesn’t help me sift through that noise, it just hides it. Please allow us to view status updates only, or provide the old widget. This may be a deal breaker for me, and I’d really hate to leave Netvibes.