Today marks a major milestone in the evolution of Netvibes — the Dashboard of Things. Before we dive into the news, let’s take a look back at the evolution of Netvibes over the years.
Netvibes Part 1 – Monitor your Internet (Listen)
When Netvibes began in 2005, we embarked on a vision of “Dashboard Intelligence,” enabling you to listen, learn and act on your data. The first step in that journey was the original Netvibes dashboard. By bringing together all the content and data that matters most to you or your business, you create your Personal Corpus—your own Internet. With this approach, you can focus squarely on only the most important information, free from noise and untrusted sources. And with AutoSave, you can store all of this data as long as you choose.
Netvibes Part 2 – Analyze your Internet (Learn)
The second evolution of Netvibes came in 2013 with the launch of MisoData. MisoData enables Premium users to drag-and-compare to analyze anything on their dashboard, including imported cloud-based data, external .CSV or .XLS files, or even data from third-party services like Google Analytics. With MisoData analytics, Netvibes became a powerful tool to help you discover trends, correlations and actionable insights from your data. The dashboard gave you intelligence, but you still had to take any actions on your own. Which brings us to…
Netvibes Part 3 – Program your Internet (Act)
With the launch of our new Dashboard of Things (DoT), Netvibes is taking dashboarding to the next level by empowering you to take control and program automatic actions on your Internet, including your apps, data and smart devices connected to the Internet of Things. DoT isn’t just about remote-controlling your devices: rather, DoT enables you to program automatic interactions between anything on your dashboard by creating a Potion. You can choose from pre-made Potions (shared by Netvibes or, soon, the community), or you can create a new Potion from scratch by selecting the ingredients: e.g., If A or B triggers happen, then do X and Y actions; otherwise do Z. Welcome to your Programmable Netvibes!
Example Potions you can create:
- Stock Monitoring: When your stock exceeds a set price, send yourself an email and tweet the stock price.
- Reading List Building: When articles or tweets mention your company, add them to your reading list on Pocket.
- Health Tracking: When you weigh yourself on your Internet-connected smart scale, congratulate yourself on Twitter if your weight is within your target range. Otherwise, email yourself to keep trying.
- Weather Forecasting:
When it’s going to rain, post the forecast on Facebook and text yourself to “bring an umbrella.”
- Task Management: Every morning, email yourself your “To Do” list.
- Social Media Monitoring: When your best friend posts something on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram, email it to yourself.
- And more! Netvibes is continually adding more ingredients and actions to DoT.
Dashboard of Things is available today upon request as a private technology preview. You can request a demo at http://www.netvibes.com/en/contact. We’ll announce general availability later in Q1 2015.