Dashboard of Things: The Third Evolution of Netvibes Dashboard Intelligence

Today marks a major milestone in the evolution of Netvibes — the Dashboard of Things. Before we dive into the news, let’s take a look back at the evolution of Netvibes over the years.

ill_DOT

Netvibes Part 1 – Monitor your Internet (Listen)
2005

When Netvibes began in 2005, we embarked on a vision of “Dashboard Intelligence,” enabling you to listen, learn and act on your data. The first step in that journey was the original Netvibes dashboard. By bringing together all the content and data that matters most to you or your business, you create your Personal Corpus—your own Internet. With this approach, you can focus squarely on only the most important information, free from noise and untrusted sources. And with AutoSave, you can store all of this data as long as you choose.

Netvibes Part 2 – Analyze your Internet (Learn)
2013

The second evolution of Netvibes came in 2013 with the launch of MisoData. MisoData enables Premium users to drag-and-compare to analyze anything on their dashboard, including imported cloud-based data, external .CSV or .XLS files, or even data from third-party services like Google Analytics. With MisoData analytics, Netvibes became a powerful tool to help you discover trends, correlations and actionable insights from your data. The dashboard gave you intelligence, but you still had to take any actions on your own. Which brings us to…

Netvibes Part 3 – Program your Internet (Act)
2015

With the launch of our new Dashboard of Things (DoT), Netvibes is taking dashboarding to the next level by empowering you to take control and program automatic actions on your Internet, including your apps, data and smart devices connected to the Internet of Things. DoT isn’t just about remote-controlling your devices: rather, DoT enables you to program automatic interactions between anything on your dashboard by creating a Potion. You can choose from pre-made Potions (shared by Netvibes or, soon, the community), or you can create a new Potion from scratch by selecting the ingredients: e.g., If A or B triggers happen, then do X and Y actions; otherwise do Z. Welcome to your Programmable Netvibes!

Example Potions you can create:

• Stock Monitoring: When your stock exceeds a set price, send yourself an email and tweet the stock price.
  • Reading List Building: When articles or tweets mention your company, add them to your reading list on Pocket.
  • Health Tracking: When you weigh yourself on your Internet-connected smart scale, congratulate yourself on Twitter if your weight is within your target range. Otherwise, email yourself to keep trying.
  • Weather Forecasting:
    When it’s going to rain, post the forecast on Facebook and text yourself to “bring an umbrella.”
  • Task Management: Every morning, email yourself your “To Do” list.
  • Social Media Monitoring: When your best friend posts something on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram, email it to yourself.
  • And more! Netvibes is continually adding more ingredients and actions to DoT.

Dashboard of Things is available today upon request as a private technology preview. You can request a demo at http://www.netvibes.com/en/contact. We’ll announce general availability later in Q1 2015.

29 Responses to “Dashboard of Things: The Third Evolution of Netvibes Dashboard Intelligence”

1. #1 | Bjoern Sjut | February 11th, 2015 at 4:29 pm   Reply

This looks more or less like a IFTT or a Zapier clone with less functionalities. I don’t really get the dashboarding part in it?

2. #2 | Freddy | February 11th, 2015 at 7:34 pm   Reply

1. programmable. Our dashboard defines your internet on a topic. your dashboard is now programmable. all of it. no need to go anywhere else
    2. programming. we bring programming to everyone with if all or any of this then all that otherwise all that.
    3. programmers. netvibes is the only one to offer a full language (NPL) for programmers to code directly their potions.
    all in all, if Netvibes defines your web on a topic, this new Netvibes welcomes you to your programmable web.
    We hope you’ll like it as much as we do.

3. #3 | Randzone | February 16th, 2015 at 11:48 am   Reply

How about SSL for Netvibes, and i mean not just the login. Its 2015, people are using WiFi everywhere and you like them to do more and more on your platform, so make it safe.

4. #6 | Debby Dietrich | February 16th, 2015 at 12:31 pm   Reply

I wish I could get the 2nd Evolution to work. More and more I wonder why I use Netvibes and have starting looking around to find a replacement. The Weather app stopped working. I deleted it, but found nothing comparable with which to replace it. The Wall Street Journal app stopped updating. I fiddled with it, but could not get it to work. I deleted it. Of the remaining apps, when I open my web browser, they show as just a title bar which I must open to use. I have to click on them to get them to open and display Facebook, Woot, to do list, etc. Only the Washington Post app appears to be working properly. I loved the personal homepage I had till Goggle discontinued theirs. I once considered Netvibes an adequate replacement, but no longer.

• #7 | Arthur | February 16th, 2015 at 8:10 pm   Reply

Debby, you may want to double-check how you set up NV. I, too, was a long time devotee of iGoogle and thought I’d be lost when it went away. But, someone sent a list of “potential” replacements. I tried them all, and settled on NV.

From time to time, one of my chosen sources “goes away” with no explanation, but, other than that, I now like it better than ever I liked iGoogle.

I’m a “news junkie”, so, I have tabs set up for News (with several major news sources on the page), and the same with Technology, Sports, Business News, Stocks, Oil & Gas, and Weather. I love it! . . . and I’m using the free version.

I’m really looking forward to giving the new NV a test drive. I may even subscribe, depending on whether, as a retiree, I can afford their rates.

5. #8 | Hugo | February 16th, 2015 at 1:29 pm   Reply

This is great, i’ve been using netvibes since 2007 and i think that could make me use it for a few years long. By the way, ssl all over the app would be much apreciated.

6. #9 | gobo | February 16th, 2015 at 1:36 pm   Reply

Also the little things. What about the font size issue that people have been complaining about for years. Also performance on the site has gone downhill.

7. #10 | Xaromir | February 16th, 2015 at 1:49 pm   Reply

All I really need is “Part 1”. xD

8. #11 | Matt | February 16th, 2015 at 3:05 pm   Reply

Good ideas. I’ve been using Netvibes since 2009 and I love it thanks for continuing to innovate.

9. #12 | JohnnyK | February 16th, 2015 at 3:36 pm   Reply

Honestly I only use NetVibes as a RSS feed aggregator. I don’t see the need to go beyond that. I thought you folks were there programmers and we were the consumer? Why on earth would we want your job? I can’t even spell HTLM or is that HTML… I get confused. Yeah Part 1 is all I ever wanted. I see no reason to analyze news feed downloads or widget updates and I really have no need to program anything on here. Thanks but honestly Netvibes was just a replacement for iGoogle so I could have a startpage and get my news.

• #13 | DJ | February 17th, 2015 at 4:14 pm   Reply

Amen. Jumping the shark. Make another website for this new programming. I just want a news aggregator.

• #14 | Elisa | February 17th, 2015 at 6:57 pm   Reply

Ding ding same here. I don’t understand all that stuff and don’t want it. If the RSS feed I’m using changes, then I’ll just switch to some other site instead of yours.

10. #15 | MJS | February 16th, 2015 at 3:57 pm   Reply

I see a lot of negative comments here about how individuals use Netvibes and aren’t interested in these new additions. I too don’t think I will use these new features either, but I have no problem them being added if it means that more people will use Netvibes, some as Premium customers, and keep it going as a free service for the rest of us.

11. #16 | Dan | February 16th, 2015 at 5:08 pm   Reply

I would just like to see Part 1 get better, more robust in line with other comments.

12. #17 | Jeff | February 16th, 2015 at 5:09 pm   Reply

Nice work! Will it integrate with social media such as LinkedIn and allow a trigger when a connection is accepted?

I think the new additions are well conceived and will raise your status when compared with sites claiming to be similar to yours.

Your site is the first and last I use everyday and check it throughout.

Keep up the great work!

13. #18 | Rob | February 16th, 2015 at 6:03 pm   Reply

I love netvibes, having ported over from iGoogle. SSL is a good idea as we attach our other accounts to our dashboard, but hey, there’s no room for complaints from me on Netvibes solution. It’s simple, easy, reliable, and intuitive. As for triggers and actions, perhaps I’ll grow into it.

14. #19 | Jens | February 16th, 2015 at 7:15 pm   Reply

I don’t get the Netvibes roadmap. Using the service for a lot of years now. RSS reader, Twitter. That’s all I need. Tried out other widgets but some of them just don’t work (Twitter Search would be nice but it always says something like feed error), are better elsewhere or are just crappy. I use IFTT and Zapier too and it seems to me that they can do all the stuff you planned for your new release. What has this to do with a dashboard? OK, let’s see what it can do. I would prefer SSL and some better widgets instead of fancy new stuff.

15. #20 | koolyg | February 16th, 2015 at 8:26 pm   Reply

Yes, please allow ADJUSTMENT OF FONT SIZE!! It’s very difficult to read the dashboard at times and that makes anything else not all that useful. You have to nail the basics first, and I don’t think NetVibes is there yet.

16. #21 | Jay | February 16th, 2015 at 10:06 pm   Reply

Version 1 is still the best

17. #22 | Jill | February 16th, 2015 at 10:39 pm   Reply

I, like so many, only use the Dashboard aspect. I use many different computers and need access to my bookmarks from any computer. I also like to see the weather. Other apps allow me to see my Gmail that comes in without having Gmail open.

I, too, wish the apps worked better. I cannot find the same app for bookmarks when I set up friends and family. The clock and Flash apps crash A LOT.

I don’t understand the need for any of the other features. My needs are simple but there aren’t many dashboard sites to use.

18. #23 | Jim | February 17th, 2015 at 2:08 am   Reply

I have been using Netvibes for years and don’t know what I would do without it.

19. #24 | Mike Smith | February 17th, 2015 at 4:59 am   Reply

Hey thanks for the hard work! I’m not sure I see the benefits though.

Couldn’t I just sign up for an account at every site that I like, and then hope they have some sort of alerting mechanism based on keywords? Then I can manage each site individually and also each individual keyword alert. If I want to change an alert, I could take the time to log into whichever site and make the changes.

Of course I’d have to find some way to manage all of those alerts so I can track them and remember what alerts I have set up and which sites I have alerting me. I could use something like Word or Excel, and then update that document whenever I make changes to my site alerts.

Maybe it’s not the model of efficiency, and maybe not every site has a mechanism to do keyword alerts either, let alone take an action other than sending me an email. But at least I wouldn’t be wasting my time on all these shenanagans you call features.

20. #25 | Craig | February 18th, 2015 at 12:39 pm   Reply

I agree with some of the end-user points mentioned (SSL, fonts), but everyone seems to be misinterpreting the value of this announcement.

The point of having a programmable platform is to allow programmers to interact with it and bring you richer content. Imaging if iOS, Android, Facebook, etc. didn’t allow developers to build on their platforms – they would be a lot less useful.

They shouldn’t have pushed this article to everyone’s dashboard as it’s not that interesting for non-devs, but it really brings no disadvantage to the consumer, in fact quite the opposite.

21. #26 | r huitt | February 18th, 2015 at 4:48 pm   Reply

Netvibes should be my favorite thing on the internet. I spent a lot of time adding content and arranging it. I was excited about having a great start page that could grow to include what I wanted to see aggregated in one page. Then I realized I couldn’t read it. The font is too small and I can’t find any way to change it. Wouldn’t that be among the first things you would want to fix? It seems that people have been complaining about this from the start. When I saw this banner I hoped it would include fixing the font issue, but I don’t see it.
    Someday maybe I will be able to see my NetVibes page.

22. #27 | Gobo | February 18th, 2015 at 7:57 pm   Reply

I agree with nailing the basics like font size, feeds displaying in real time, performance enhancements to netvibes. Most of the netvibes faithful uses it similar to igoogle in the past. All this analytics stuff will only be used for the minority, yet the basics are being ignored(fonts etc).

23. #28 | Bahrta | February 18th, 2015 at 8:51 pm   Reply

I agree with Bjoern Sjut & Jens. I also use ifttt & have tried zapier & I’m not sure how this is any different for anyone who already uses those, but it’s fine for those who don’t. As long as what it does now stays free.

24. #29 | Barton | February 18th, 2015 at 11:51 pm   Reply

I’ll bite too. I read the comments, and agree. Not being negative, just giving you user feedback – I’m a iGoogle convertee. I only use #1, and would like to see improvements to it.

Half the widgets I’ve tried to use didn’t work or worked poorly. I had to make a ‘bookmarks’ widget by using a blank HTML widget and manually coding in the links. It works how I want now though, so I’m happy.

Making improvements on speed, security (SSL), functionality, and the “web 3.0”-ness (flexibility? slickness?) of #1 is what I’d love to see.