Create your own multifeed widget

Today I’d like to show you how you can create your own widget with a few feeds, without typing any code. In less than 5 minutes, you will get a widget like this one:

The first thing you have to do, is go to eco.netvibes.com and click on “Create widget”.

Then, you have to choose which type of widget you want to create. In our case, we are going to select “Create a multifeed widget”.

On the next page, you are presented with the widget creator interface. On the left, you can see the widget parameters. On the right, is a live preview of the final widget. Enter the name and the feed URL for each tab of the widget. If you need more than two tabs, simply click on “Add a feed”.

Below the feed list, there a customization box for adding an image as header. You can upload a picture, crop it and change the background color.

Once your widget fully configured, press the button “Next step”.

In this next step, you have to enter information about your widget such as the title, the description or tags. This step is important because it ensures that your widget will be correctly indexed in the directory.

When done, just hit “Next step” to save you widget. That’s it! You can now install the widget on your page and share it with all your friends.

If you need to build a more complex widget, check out our Developers Network website. You will find all the documentation needed for coding an UWA widget that runs on Netvibes and many other widget platforms.

Tags: , ,

Share/Save/Bookmark

25 Responses to “Create your own multifeed widget”

1. #1 | Dennis | March 10th, 2009 at 08:53

Very nice feature!

But how can I install my created widget on my private netvibes page? I can’t find my widget under "add content". On the "Submit and Share" page (step 4) there is also no possibility to install it on my own page?

2. #2 | Dave | March 10th, 2009 at 13:36

I second this question. I created a private widget, but can’t figure out how to find and install it on my page.

3. #3 | Maurice Svay | March 10th, 2009 at 14:01

Dennis, Dave: just go to the widget page and click on "Add to my page".

4. #4 | Tom | March 10th, 2009 at 18:05

Really easy and great way to make widgets from feeds. Cheers

5. #5 | eduk | March 10th, 2009 at 18:11

I see you haven`t the fool "share" button on this widget. Why not removing it at all? I can’t use netvibes instead, in my small screen. It’s full of "share" buttons that I don`t need. It is "compartir" in spanish (9 letters) and in russian it takes 17 letters. It’s impossible to use netvibes.
    Please remove it.
    T H I N K. This is my 6ª comment. Don’t you think about your users? Please read my past comment. and T H I N K a little please.

6. #6 | Trouwerij Trouwen | March 10th, 2009 at 22:53

Widgets rock! Thanks for the little tutorial!

7. #7 | Mac | March 10th, 2009 at 23:48

oh nice this ist very coll, thx!

8. #8 | Hypotheek | March 11th, 2009 at 13:06

I never knew it was that easy to create a widget! Just tried it and it’s really simple.

9. #9 | karen | March 12th, 2009 at 12:39

Hi,

Interesting post. I would love to come back and read more. Oh! By the way did you check http://www.translationartwork.co... , these have a real good concept. Will come back again to read more.

10. #10 | X-Tender | March 12th, 2009 at 15:37

Hmm, I would love a feature that the Multifeed Widged could display more then 4 Feeds at the same time.

Or is there maybe a way to display all feeds on one site (in one list) of multiple sites?

11. #11 | kyrlian | March 12th, 2009 at 16:16

Interesting, but I was hoping for a option to ‘merge’ the feeds, ie to have all posts in the same tab, as in rssmix or feedkiller… is that scheduled ?
    Still good to see regular improvements !

12. #12 | Gobo | March 13th, 2009 at 10:58

Yes. Merging feeds would it nice idea too. I can then view all my photo blog feeds at one glance.

13. #13 | chat | March 13th, 2009 at 14:39

Really easy and great way to make widgets from feeds. Cheers

14. #14 | aşk | March 13th, 2009 at 14:48

15. #15 | Bertrand | March 14th, 2009 at 15:36

By default, if we choose to create a private widget then the widget is off-line and can not be added to one’s page…

And the widget is not that useful : I am used to open a netvibes tab only if I have notifications showing on top of it. With this widget, the notifications are only the notification of the ‘active feed’… So basically the feature of this widget is adding feeds to our page without notifications… which is very strange since the only aim of feed is notifications…

You should either consider
    * merging the feeds together
    * setting the notification variable for this widget as the sum of the notifications of the feeds contained by the widget
    Of course, they should be both option. I would like that but then an other user may not.

When the widget is mature enough, it would be nice to have it in ‘essential widgets’ or create a new option like the ‘add a feed’ : ‘add a multifeed’. The eco.netvibes.com is indeed nice but if I want to add a few, private, feeds to my page, that’s clearlyna loss of time.

16. #16 | muhabbet | March 16th, 2009 at 16:28

17. #17 | s | March 17th, 2009 at 01:51

This widget has been a loooong time coming. Finally. And, thanks!

18. #18 | Sesli Sohbet | March 18th, 2009 at 18:16

Really easy and great way to make widgets from feeds. Cheers

19. #19 | Sesli Sohbet | March 18th, 2009 at 18:16

Really easy and great way to make widgets from feeds. Cheers

20. #20 | Paul Anthony | March 18th, 2009 at 23:18

21. #21 | mp3 | March 19th, 2009 at 10:14

you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear.This is a great wee addition to the Netvibes site, I’ve referenced it in a blog article today. Keep up the good work guys.

22. #22 | mp3 | March 20th, 2009 at 10:14

There were only a couple of things I disliked about the previous version and both have been fixed. I can Paste into the window AND see more than 25 Tweets… thank you.

23. #23 | msn nickleri | March 25th, 2009 at 16:44

Very nice feature!thanks

24. #24 | Matt B | March 26th, 2009 at 12:53

Thanks, thats great!
    I like the idea Bertrand and some others suggested about merging feeds and a sum of unread feeds at the top. I’d personally prefer each tab to show the unread feeds separately but i understand this might start to look a bit cluttered. What about a tab with unread feeds in it changing colour?

25. #25 | Ana Backstone | April 4th, 2009 at 20:04

I must admit that it’s both easy and quick. I made my own widget in no time. Great tutorial!